Help/Advice for my baby Pekin!!

Amyndls

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2019
Dallas, Tx
My pekin is 3 weeks old and has started this chattering motion, and a little shaking allover it's body. No diet changes in 2 weeks. The chattering motions seem to be getting a tad worse tonight. My rouen (3 weeks old) is perfectly fine. The pekin is eating and drinking normally also. They had a bath earlier and it was diving, playing and acted completely normal. Can anyone please give me any advice on what may be going on. They both eat manna pro non-medicated with brewers yeast added, a few treats here and there. Thanks!

We see this fairly often in Pekin ducklings and is usually cured by adding liquid B complex to their diet. They just grow so fast. It would also benefit your Rouen even though your not seeing any symptoms with it. Both being Large birds it can happen pretty quick. You can go to TSC and get the liquid B complex in the cattle section and give them 1 ml over something like meal worms or chopped tomatoes or something else yummy they like, But you want them to get the whole dose so don't put it in water it will be diluted to much.

Welcome to BYC and please let us know how your little one is doing its usually less than a week before you see noticeable improvement if you start them asap and what they don't need they will pee out. Very safe.

B4E9189B-A3FF-4D21-9A1C-FE0E5B3DE727.jpeg
It says injectable but it’s given orally to our birds just get a 1 ml syringe to give proper dose.

Ok thank you so much! I just now read this. I'll go first thing in the morning. In the meantime can you tell me what exactly causes this, and is he in any danger or will he fall ill? He's been fine all day, played with the little rouen, they swam, ate and drank normally today. It just started again about an hour ago. I just feel horrible for him! It's been a long time since I've had a pet duck and I don't want anything to happen to these precious babies! Thanks again!

I think if you get him started on the liquid b complex you will see a big difference in him in less than a week. I don’t know for sure what causes but we see it often in Pekins they were developed to grow fast because they were considered table birds so they wanted them to grow out before 12 week, so bless their hearts they grow way to fast and if we feed them chick starter they aren’t getting the right amount of niacin to begin with once they already have an issue like this the liquid b complex works faster and better than just plain niacin by itself. And your Rouen who will also be a large duck can benefit by using the complex to. Keep us updated on how your little one is doing.

Ok, one dose down the hatch! Added a little to the mealworms for Greyson the rouen, of course Charlie had a few too. Do you suggest I do this daily for a week? I truly appreciate all your help with my little babies. They thank you also!

As long as your seeing symptoms in your Pekin keep it up until he has gone one week with out symptoms . I’d keep up with Nutritional yeast after that till they are at least 10 weeks that’s when they begin to level off on growing so fast. Nutritional yeast has more niacin than brewers yeast! Good for you getting that first dose down!!! Please post some pics of your babies when you can!

Back
Top Bottom