HELP! Advice to our Florida family in the track of Hurricane Ian

Pics
No problem, the horses are fine, they were all safe in the barn. We let them into the paddocks for the first time in like 3-4 days today....they were VERY happy to stretch their legs!

Me too, it's a beautiful tree!
Ok well I am so glad you and your fur and feathered friends are ok.

I will check back from time to time 😊

How is everyone doing? I know how busy y'all all are. But a short, we are okay or we are trying to put a roof over our heads would be great. Still in my thoughts and my prayers. :hugs

I think what I'm most devastated about....it may sound insignificant......is the pine tree on our property! It was so big and beautiful.....it was the only one there! We named our farm "Lone Pine Ranch" because of it, and now it's gone. My dad is going to make a table and bench from it so we always have it with us, and we will plant a new one in the same spot, but it won't be the same.... :hit
It is NOT an insignificant loss. To many of us, trees are dear old friends. There's a mulberry on the little homestead where I grew up. When the front acre was being leveled, all of the little trees were taken out by the dozer. I can still see my father standing in front of that lone little tree on the front lot - arms extended, refusing to move for the machinery. For years, he swore that, if he'd known it was a mulberry, he would have let it go ... but we got loads of enjoyment from that tree. It was our "starting line" for gallops around the house (and the horses knew it!) It was the most climbable tree on the property, and it yielded loads of jam, pies and in-hand snacks. We LOVED that tree. Decades later, whenever one of us drives by the property, The Mulberry Report is always anxiously awaited. If we don't hear, "The mulberry's still blooming/fruiting/standing," someone immediately asks. I don't know what we'll do if and when the tree comes down, but there will be tears ... many, many tears.
So yes, we understand.

ps - As a keepsake, cut yourself a large disc from the trunk and carve and/or wood-burn it with "Lone Pine Ranch" and the date established. You can also cut small disks from a branch to turn into Christmas or wall ornaments, also wood-burned with the date and maybe a pine tree. We do that with the trunk of our Christmas trees every year. Each of my children and I have a full set. They make really nice mementos - and very pretty ornaments.

It is NOT an insignificant loss. To many of us, trees are dear old friends. There's a mulberry on the little homestead where I grew up. When the front acre was being leveled, all of the little trees were taken out by the dozer. I can still see my father standing in front of that lone little tree on the front lot - arms extended, refusing to move for the machinery. For years, he swore that, if he'd known it was a mulberry, he would have let it go ... but we got loads of enjoyment from that tree. It was our "starting line" for gallops around the house (and the horses knew it!) It was the most climbable tree on the property, and it yielded loads of jam, pies and in-hand snacks. We LOVED that tree. Decades later, whenever one of us drives by the property, The Mulberry Report is always anxiously awaited. If we don't hear, "The mulberry's still blooming/fruiting/standing," someone immediately asks. I don't know what we'll do if and when the tree comes down, but there will be tears ... many, many tears.
So yes, we understand.

ps - As a keepsake, cut yourself a large disc from the trunk and carve and/or wood-burn it with "Lone Pine Ranch" and the date established. You can also cut small disks from a branch to turn into Christmas or wall ornaments, also wood-burned with the date and maybe a pine tree. We do that with the trunk of our Christmas trees every year. Each of my children and I have a full set. They make really nice mementos - and very pretty ornaments.
Thanks! That's a wonderful idea!!! We still haven't removed or cut the tree yet but I am so sad everytime I see it laying on its side😢

Back
Top Bottom