Help again please question regarding nesting and egg breakig

crazyh717

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2016
Carlsbad nm
So some of you know I am new to this and posted a few times about my Rouen duck starting a nest.
She has 11 eggs in it, been burying and unburying them daily when he lays a new one.
Today should have been the 12th egg but instead she buried the other 11 and broke her 12th one leaving it far from the nest.
Any thoughts on why she would do this to this egg?
Maybe she has the eggs she wants and doesn't want any more?

I'm wondering why you are leaving a bunch of eggs sitting out instead of collecting them. If she's still laying, she's not broody. Which means the hormones that make them sit on eggs haven't been triggered. Take those eggs and bake a cake. If she does eventually go broody, then you can give her some fertile eggs to sit on.

I'm leaving them because her first nest she was sitting on, so I'm letting her do her thing and I use my turkey eggs for cooking.

Like I said, if she's still laying, she's not broody. Ducks are like chickens. They don't lay clutches once or twice a year like turkeys. They will lay year round. If she doesn't go broody, she will keep on laying. Collect those eggs.

O I was told the exact opposite on here, when she first started laying her nest. So I believed differently. I did not know they laid year around.
I only have her and her mate, my first ducks. Had them 8 months

Back
Top Bottom