HELP !! ALL OF A SUDDEN ROOSTER SEEMS to be Sick

I

I was checking his wing and he stood up crowing loudly but he still doesn't have much energy to move run away .. he just remained standing for barely 4mins & his body seems to be slightly less hot now. This is a good sign, right?
Definitely good if he can stand by himself.

If you have given him a thorough examination to make sure nothing is broken, he has no injuries or puncture wounds, I would say keep him inside and warm until he can walk around, eat, drink and act normal, maybe another hour or so. He may have stunned himself somehow by falling or flying into something. Watch to make sure he completely heals and then return him back outside.

Keep us posted if he gets worse.

Definitely good if he can stand by himself.

If you have given him a thorough examination to make sure nothing is broken, he has no injuries or puncture wounds, I would say keep him inside and warm until he can walk around, eat, drink and act normal, maybe another hour or so. He may have stunned himself somehow by falling or flying into something. Watch to make sure he completely heals and then return him back outside.

Keep us posted if he gets worse.
That's makes me so happy.. After an hour I will chck him again for now he's sleeping on me and keep him inside untill he is back to his active self. Should I continue to give him panadol drops (drops for kids) ?

I will keep posting abt his health..

Last edited:
That's makes me so happy.. After an hour I will chck him again for now he's sleeping on me and keep him inside untill he is back to his active self. Should I continue to give him panadol drops (drops for kids) ?

If he is still sleeping in a couple of hours, something may be seriously wrong. Hopefully he does start to perk up.

Do you have a vet you can take him too?

Let me tag a couple of other members here for more help. Keep us posted!

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

I gave him 3 drop of panadol(for babies) & have him with me to keep him warm.. What am I supposed to do ?
I'm so worried & clueless rn.. he's breathing so heavily all of a sudden
Idk he was alright few hours ago running, making noise and eating but now all of a sudden it's just been 1hr he wasn't moving much and is burning hot.
HE just turned 1. Yes, Yesterday he kept crowing and doing everything just as usual even today but all of a sudden he stopped and slowed down .. I gave him 3 drops of panadol for babies and very lil powder antibiotics mixed in water for poultry.

He's breathing so heavily now all of a sudden.. What do I do???
View attachment 2472186

Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed your rooster?
He just suddenly felt bad? Could he have been fighting with the other rooster?

I would not give him any more Panadol (according to the link below).

I would offer him water to drink, check inside his beak to make sure there's no obstructions.
Careful you are not overheating him by wrapping him up.
Once he's able to drink and move around some, then I would make some wet feed available.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-seriously-injuried.1300333/post-21176599

I agree with not giving panadol. That is acetominophen, and it is toxic for birds and chickens. It is okay to give aspirin 1/2 of an 81mg tablet twice a day for up to 3 days. What is your location? What do his droppings look like? I would offer him water often, along with food. Look closely at his skin under his rear end and check him for lice or mites.

Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed your rooster?
He just suddenly felt bad? Could he have been fighting with the other rooster?

I would not give him any more Panadol (according to the link below).

I would offer him water to drink, check inside his beak to make sure there's no obstructions.
Careful you are not overheating him by wrapping him up.
Once he's able to drink and move around some, then I would make some wet feed available.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-seriously-injuried.1300333/post-21176599
I moved to Pakistan (Lahore City Area) and the roosters + hens is Egyptian Fayoumi breed.

Yes, Yesterday in the evening he suddenly felt unwell. After posting about it here I couldn't wait much longer so ended up calling a vet (my dog's vet) and he suggested 3drops of kids panadol alongside antibiotics (A pinch power mixed in 1 tsp water).
Luckily now he seems to be doing better compared to yesterday. He is moving, eating a little bit fever is down but I am still keeping him inside to keep an eye on him.

No, I had separated the younger rooster because he had beaten up the younger one badly a few days ago.

The chicken feed I got from the market is a mixture of whole grains and pellets. This a all very new to me I will make wet feed for him now.

Last edited:
I agree with not giving panadol. That is acetominophen, and it is toxic for birds and chickens. It is okay to give aspirin 1/2 of an 81mg tablet twice a day for up to 3 days. What is your location? What do his droppings look like? I would offer him water often, along with food. Look closely at his skin under his rear end and check him for lice or mites.
I'm currently living in Pakistan. His dropping is a bit wet. I kept water alongside the chicken feed I was able to get from the market.

LICE or Mites ? I will check that out today. Can lice/mite be transmitted from the rooster?

If he is still sleeping in a couple of hours, something may be seriously wrong. Hopefully he does start to perk up.

Do you have a vet you can take him too?

Let me tag a couple of other members here for more help. Keep us posted!

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
Luckily, he woke up was moving & eating a little bit then slept again.. I still have him separated to keep an eye on his condition.

There aren't many vets near by that know how to properly treat birds. I called the vet and he suggested to give 3drops of kids panadol & antibiotics (pinch of powder mixed in 1tsp of water)

I moved to Pakistan (Lahore City Area) and the roosters + hens is Egyptian Fayoumi breed.

Yes, Yesterday in the evening he suddenly felt unwell. After posting about it here I couldn't wait much longer so ended up calling a vet (my dog's vet) and he suggested 3drops of kids panadol alongside antibiotics (A pinch power mixed in 1 tsp water).
Luckily now he seems to be doing better compared to yesterday. He is moving, eating a little bit fever is down but I am still keeping him inside to keep an eye on him.

No, I had separated the younger rooster because he had beaten up the younger one badly a few days ago.

The chicken feed I got from the market is a mixture of whole grains and pellets. This a all very new to me I will make wet feed for him now.
Sorry to hear he is still not doing well. Look over his entire body carefully for puncture wounds, during the scuffle with the younger rooster, he may have gotten tagged by the other roosters spurs. Puncture wounds get infected fast and can kill the bird.

Don't pull the feathers backwards, you can blow the back and gently lift them. Do a thorough check of his entire body.

Back
Top Bottom