HELP!!!!!!!!!!! ALL of my hens have stopped laying eggs!

I agree with the molting answers. My first batch of chickens is 18-19 months old, and many have been molting over the last 3 months, so they are not laying. Your chickens will do the same thing next fall. I have a lightbulb in my coop on at 5 AM to give them at least 12-13 hours a day to increase their laying in winter. Chickens lay best the first year and decrease with year. They should be laying again by February.

Whew I was beginning to worry that something was wrong with my girls. I have 4 hens that started laying toward the end of the summer . . . then 1 went broody and now I'm only getting 1 egg a day.

Well, at least I'm not alone! Eleven chickens, getting zero to one egg a day for the past month or so. They went into molt but they seem good now, they are all about a year and a half old and have been great layers up until a few months ago.

I wanted to post even though its late, because I googled this when my chickens stopped laying eggs and I didn't get a clear answer. My neighbor told me what to do, and it worked great. I had two older hens that were infrequently laying, and about 8 others. Suddenly, no eggs except one for over two weeks! They were molting, with feathers everywhere and looking pretty unattractive. At my neighbor's direction, I added extra Oyster Shell and Salt to their diet, and I put a smooth stone that was egg shaped in each box. The next day, 2 eggs, the next day, 4 eggs with one more cracked. I was surprised, but it sure worked. Now we're back on, molting and all.

I have a white cochin hen she is siting on the nest but there is no eggs under her and she hasn't been laying... What do I do?????

Last edited:
I have only got two eggs a day from 4 hens for the last two days. Thanks for all the info, I wont start to worry for a few more days.

Mine are slacking too:(. I have twelve and I've gotten three eggs this week. Of course there has been the combining of two flocks together so I imagine they are stressed.

The only chicken that lays most every day is my little turkin, that's an egg laying machine. The other 7 are spotty, my light brahma has been off for at least a week, but she doesn't seem to be loosing feathers. They all were a year old July 25. The only other time they slowed down was when the heat index was 105, they free range so all they wanted was cold water and shade ( the front porch seems to be their favorite spot). When there were 9 I only got 9 eggs once, I'd get 8 on a regular basis.

walt

Back
Top Bottom