Help Allowing Roosters in an Agriculturally based City

Whittni

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Virginia
I think the local universities, schools and people in my city should be allowed to have roosters at will. This entire area in Utah is agriculturally based, people want roosters they tell me all the time when they pick up chicks and chickens and how much they would love to have a rooster.

I would like to purpose an annual permit to be acquired or a city wide petition to rid of the law. Maybe we could zone the city and take a survey of which areas are more rural and which are not.

How can I take action to change the law?

I've been really really tempted to start hatching a breed of chickens that is impossible to catch and that can actually fly a bit. Then I could hatch them out like crazy and just let them run in the city! I'm not sure anyone could stop an influx of wild chickens no matter what the laws, especially if they started breeding in the 'wild'.

The appropriate way would be to start an unofficial petition. Then make a presentation to the local city council. They will want to know the reasons people want roosters. Also, you need to find out exactly why roosters are not allowed (it may not be the obvious noise issue!) and don't just guess! You can't have a viable argument if you are arguing the wrong point.

A good attitude goes a long way when dealing with city councils.

As part of the presentation idea:
A possible reason to give: Roosters are beautiful, showy birds.
The city council may not believe that one without visual aid, so if you can print out some high quality pictures of some species or breeds with lots of colors, pretty patterns, and/or long brilliant feathers. Something that looks attractive and could be easily visualized as a desirable pet.

Back
Top Bottom