Help! Almost tore chick's umbilical cord!!!!

meaganplummer

Hatching
Apr 3, 2021
I am a new mom to 3 silkie babies. One of which had a bit of pasty butt. I successfully cleaned it's vent. However, I was unaware that chicks had umbilical cords and assumed that it was additional poop that had gotten stuck on it's bottom. As I began to try to clean it, I saw that there was pink fleshy skin underneath so I stopped. I did not tear it off completely and there was no bleeding. I feel horribly as I know it had to be very painful. With this said, should I just leave it and watch for infection? Should I put something on it? Help!

I am a new mom to 3 silkie babies. One of which had a bit of pasty butt. I successfully cleaned it's vent. However, I was unaware that chicks had umbilical cords and assumed that it was additional poop that had gotten stuck on it's bottom. As I began to try to clean it, I saw that there was pink fleshy skin underneath so I stopped. I did not tear it off completely and there was no bleeding. I feel horribly as I know it had to be very painful. With this said, should I just leave it and watch for infection? Should I put something on it? Help!
Diluted hydrogen peroxide with warm water may help. Check with the emergencies/cures forums
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Back
Top Bottom