Help! Alternatives for grass in chicken area!

Chicky_Chook

Hatching
Apr 2, 2018
Hi All,

I have been trying to think of what alternatives to grass i could lay down in my chicken area. I have a 5m x 12m area of my backyard fenced off for my chickens, they have a smallish coop in there so are always allowed out into their chicken area during the day. We previously did not have the best quality and coverage of grass in there as we have a big tree in the area but since they have been in there the grass is completely non-existent and we have had a lot of rain in the last 2 months and it basically turns into a mushy mud pit! :barnie I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and layed down an alternative to grass? I was thinking maybe wood chips?

Any suggestions/advice on this?

Deep litter, which will include wood chips or mulch, fall leaves, garden waste, grass clipping, hay, and anything else organic. It is in my opinion the only way to manage a run.

Deep litter, which will include wood chips or mulch, fall leaves, garden waste, grass clipping, hay, and anything else organic. It is in my opinion the only way to manage a run.

Thank you for your suggestion! :) Would deep litter also be okay even though my run is completely outdoor? I thought the rain would turn it mostly into mush?

By layering different sizes and types of materials in litter, it should allow for good drainage and provide a dry surface for chickens to walk on. This is assuming your soil has adequate drainage.

I am happy to see this. I get free harder mulch from the township every year, I have tons of leaves, pine cones and I can add the straw plus ash from my fires in the fire pit. This can work out rather well

Hi All,

I have been trying to think of what alternatives to grass i could lay down in my chicken area. I have a 5m x 12m area of my backyard fenced off for my chickens, they have a smallish coop in there so are always allowed out into their chicken area during the day. We previously did not have the best quality and coverage of grass in there as we have a big tree in the area but since they have been in there the grass is completely non-existent and we have had a lot of rain in the last 2 months and it basically turns into a mushy mud pit! :barnie I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and layed down an alternative to grass? I was thinking maybe wood chips?

Any suggestions/advice on this?

Is this area wet a lot of the year? Is it exposed ( not under a roof)? You may want to search on BYC, I seem to recall some articles regarding wet areas or wet runs. One person suggested using gravel (putting it down during the drier time of the year), but I know there were other options discussed.

One way to have some grass they can't destroy is to build some grass boxes.

At first I put them perpendicular to the fence but didn't like that so I started building 12" x 48" and putting them parallel to the fence. I just had a thought that in some of the low places in my yard to surround that with 2x6 grass boxes and put pine chips in... dunno.

grass-box-mk2-01.jpg 11-4-17-grass-box.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom