help and advice please for new green members too attached to hens

slwattsie

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
:(Hi

We bought some young hens , we believe much younger than we first realised, we then introduced an 18 month silver link who rules the roost but the Sussex who was fairly dominant now seems very lethargic, the others are all running round but this one despite being a fair size seems to have lost her zest. Am I being over worried, she has lots of lovely feathers and got to a good size but her comb that is not yet developed really is a pale pink not red but then the other happy sussex we have who is lively has the same pink comb. she has taken to sitting on her own a lot where as she used to sit with the other hens. the are housed in a fairly large run.
Comments would be greatly appreciated and what a great site by the way.

I originally posted on new members yesterday and was advised to put here, today she is drinking a little water and having v small amount of corn but she just does not want to get up on her legs, she has been to the loo so really stuck.

Wattsies

welcome-byc.gif
first of all! I usually take the lethargic one out and confine her where I can observe closely to make sure she's not ill. I keep her warm/cool enough and offer her special treats with feed. Sometimes I carry her around. Once in a while, they just need a day's rest from the others.

I'm sure others will have good advice for you!

It seems quite possible that she has come down with something, either in tandem with the stress of the new introduction or something actually gotten *from* the new hens.

Have you checked her quite thoroughly for mites and lice, have you inspected her foot pads, is she sneezing or any nasal discharge at all, have you inspected her bum for anything unusual, what is her poo like?

Pat

Back
Top Bottom