Help! Another mated pair trying to takeover nest?

NewPigeonOwner

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
B2B26F35-97BE-4604-8967-6C90AD198CAA.jpeg
Our babies are three weeks old today. Still not able to fly/leave the nest. Mom & dad (mostly dad) are still feeding them. But another newly mated pair are trying to takeover their nest. They hop in any chance they get with the babies. So dad is constantly kicking them out between eating/feeding. It’s a constant battle.
There are 6 nest boxes for 9 pigeons (and now two babies) so 5 nest boxes. One male (his mate died so he is trying out a new one) has claimed 3 of them and kicks anyone out. Another mated pair claims the other two boxes. Do we need more nest boxes? I don’t want anyone to hurt the babies but we only have one big open coop. Does this make sense?
image.jpg

View attachment 2288599Our babies are three weeks old today. Still not able to fly/leave the nest. Mom & dad (mostly dad) are still feeding them. But another newly mated pair are trying to takeover their nest. They hop in any chance they get with the babies. So dad is constantly kicking them out between eating/feeding. It’s a constant battle.
There are 6 nest boxes for 9 pigeons (and now two babies) so 5 nest boxes. One male (his mate died so he is trying out a new one) has claimed 3 of them and kicks anyone out. Another mated pair claims the other two boxes. Do we need more nest boxes? I don’t want anyone to hurt the babies but we only have one big open coop. Does this make sense? View attachment 2288608
Try covering the boxes except for a small hole for the birds to go in. It has worked for me.

Nice coop btw!

IMG_20190604_154632.jpg

I try to have two nest boxes for each pair, but yours are quite large enough to accommodate two nests that pigeons often have going at once (one with large squabs and one with eggs). You could try adding a few more nest spots. Also, your babies look old enough to be moved to the lower ledge if that would be safer. Dad will feed them there. You mention nine pigeons that would mean one does not have a mate and a single bird can, but not always, cause a lot of strife in a loft. Watch this single bird and see if that's the problem.
Your loft looks great and is certainly big enough for the amount of birds you have.

I try to have two nest boxes for each pair, but yours are quite large enough to accommodate two nests that pigeons often have going at once (one with large squabs and one with eggs). You could try adding a few more nest spots. Also, your babies look old enough to be moved to the lower ledge if that would be safer. Dad will feed them there. You mention nine pigeons that would mean one does not have a mate and a single bird can, but not always, cause a lot of strife in a loft. Watch this single bird and see if that's the problem.
Your loft looks great and is certainly big enough for the amount of birds you have.
Thank you! I think we should make the second shelf into more nest boxes so they have more options. The single bird (whose mate died) who is the alpha of ALL of the birds Is starting to shack up with another younger bird. So the only really single bird doesn’t seem to mind at all. He/she (don’t know yet) is always perched alone. Maybe because it is still young...6 months maybe. Will the squab/parents always stick to this nest now or will they go to another one once they learn to fly? It seems exhausting for them to constantly be kicking out that other mated pair. I’m thinking more nests would help. Thanks again.

C2CD0DAA-65DE-4CD3-B246-C8B82CC28CD5.jpeg
12278CA2-DB01-4489-B3FC-877759EBCC81.jpeg
image.jpg
Ok so we added 6 more nest boxes to the second row. The second row all have tops so no one can perch above them. Now this big bad bully bird who used to think he owned the top left three boxes, now thinks he owns the entire 6 on the left and the three on the bottom right! I was hoping this would give that mated pair with no nest box a place to go. But everytime they try to get in, the bully bird (in pic above) now fights them. So they are currently hanging on the small 2x4 underneath. How does one bird think he gets 9 boxes? I’ve been watching this for hours. I think it’s time to go in! Lol

View attachment 2301919View attachment 2301935View attachment 2301931Ok so we added 6 more nest boxes to the second row. The second row all have tops so no one can perch above them. Now this big bad bully bird who used to think he owned the top left three boxes, now thinks he owns the entire 6 on the left and the three on the bottom right! I was hoping this would give that mated pair with no nest box a place to go. But everytime they try to get in, the bully bird (in pic above) now fights them. So they are currently hanging on the small 2x4 underneath. How does one bird think he gets 9 boxes? I’ve been watching this for hours. I think it’s time to go in! Lol
If he were mine, I'd put him in a time out cage for a few days. I'd use a dog crate or similar. If the mated pair chooses a box, put a cover with only a small opening on the front to defend.
Does he have a mate? ( the bully )
It might help to put tops over the upper boxes too. :confused:

If he were mine, I'd put him in a time out cage for a few days. I'd use a dog crate or similar. If the mated pair chooses a box, put a cover with only a small opening on the front to defend.
Does he have a mate. ( the bully )
I don’t currently have a separate cage but clearly I need one!!! I have a cat carrier! Is that too mean/small? He’s really not letting anyone near all 9 of them!!! His original mate died like a month ago but he is pretty much mated up now with a new bird. So she follows him and they will both kick anyone out.

Back
Top Bottom