Help - Any Ideas?

clinkski

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Waterbury Center, VT
I came home yesterday to find that my coop had been raided and 4 of my chickens were gone - 3 were still in the coop. Feathers galore, some blood, no bodies. We found a pile of feathers in the garden but no guts or parts or anything. Some feathers were scatterd in the yard but agin no guts, bodies or parts. We couldn't find any tracks or blood thanks to heavy rain but my husband found possible bear scat in the garden. Please looko at the pictures of my coop and let me know if you have any ideas what it could have been. I don't know if it happened Wednesday night or yesterday day - it's dark in the morning when I leave for work and the girls are still roosting. Any clues are much appreciated. I live in Vermont.

60787_coop_002.jpg
img

Probably be back. Stand guard with a shotgun or rifle. Looks like a big hole to me. Predators will only do enough to get in. I hope it was a bear cause I don't have to worry about them.

that must have been a large animal, the hole is quite big, small animals wouldn't make sure big entries. Do you have black bears where you live? (i forgot to check where you are from) the opening is also more at the top then the bottom. I would guess bear.

sorry for your loss!!! that predator will be back so be prepared

Thanks for your responses. When building the coop I was concerned about fishers, weasels racoons, and the like - bears never entered my mind as a predator. Do you think I should cut my losses now and wait to start again in the Spring? I may lose the other 3 today while I'm here at work. We boarded up the torn open screen but certainly not the entire coop.

I know how you feel. I have alot of bears by me, and I've had them break into my coop. Only thing to do is enclose your pen in a chain link fence( with the top enclosed) and or hot wire. Trust the bear will be back. Here's a recent pic of an S.O.B. walking thru my backyard:

67686_birds_121.jpg

Clinski,
Is that a bear print on the coop wall below the rat wire?? Looks to be scratches in a paw shape?
barnie.gif
(edited to say: look at 2nd pic)
Took a lot of force and power to mangle that stuff!
ep.gif
I am going to say a BEAR!

I'm so sorry. I have no clue what to do for bears. I really don't think an electric fence will work...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom