HELP! Any tips on caring for a rescued tyson chicken?

goosechicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
I found the poor baby, Rio, last night in the road. I always wanted to cry seeing those poor things riding off to their doom.

:hit

She was really hurt, but we took her home, and this morning she was walking really well and let me pet her. Still I have no idea what to do and I'm definitely not eating or getting rid of the baby. She's been through enough. Will she get along with my smaller three gold bantoms? I'm afraid the rooster might hurt her beeing a different breed and all.

Need tips! Don't know what to do!

:idunno :cd

Last edited:
I'm sure she will get along fine with your rooster and other chickens.
Have you done a little research, on the Cornish cross chicken, which is most likely what she is?
I know you have the best intentions, but, you may be getting her back to health, only to watch her drop dead in a couple of months. You'll have to change the way you manage your other chickens, as the meat birds will not stop eating, so, you'll have to take food away from everyone else, or, separate them eventually.
Sorry to be a downer on this, but it is the way it is.

Yes also not wanting to be negative but they are raised to be butchered from 3-7 weeks. They grow so fast that it's common for them to have respiratory issues and leg problems. IE legs not allowing them to hold up the mass and dislocating. Generally their lifespan is around a year or so, give or take if you don't have to put them down previous to that. That being said I had a friend that had one live for 3 years that never developed any health problems until he found him expired one morning, likely a heart attack. He was 24 lbs. The biggest chicken I ever saw in person. He fed them a restricted diet as growing chicks. Was trying to raise a few old enough to produce eggs for a sustaining meat supply but all of the hens died before they were old enough to give an egg.
Sorry for the bad news, good luck.

Sadly, lifespans are short, but enjoy her while you have her! And don't keep feed out, restrict feed, they are loving, I rescue them, but my only complaint is that they never stop EATING.

Doing wonderful last time I checked on her. A little shook up, but the worst damage seems to only a blind eye. Expecting a full recovery! She ate her food this morning on her own. Currently separated from others for now. Rooster is warming up to her. Walks just fine and pretty light weight. Don't think she will develop health issues any time soon. Thanks for your help! ( Do they eat plain chicken feed?) That's what I give her.

:D

Last edited:
Yes no issues with feed. Some people feed chick adult feed to slow the growth a bit. They are very healthy bird in general so no worries with feeding jut keep it away from them so they aren't eating all the time.
Good luck.

SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!! She ate in front of me today! After a few days she quit, but some spaghetti aroused her appetite. Oh! No injuries! The "blind eye" has started to open! She is doing well and seems that her favorite spot is on an upside down rubber made tub as a roost. Hates to use her roosting pole ...weird...but, whatever she likes.

;)

:eek:

Before and after is above

Rio has a new buddy. Since one of my bantom hens is nesting, and my rooster has given her full attention, my youngest hen , chirpy, has squeezed through a hole in the chicken wire wall separating the two breeds. She has a temper and has been mean to poor Rio, but they're getting along very well. Can't believe last month she was dying! All better!

:yiipchick :cd

Back
Top Bottom