Help! Are these roosters?

birdiepearl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
Minnesota
Hello to all my new friends at Backyard Chickens!

I'm a TOTAL newbie at chickens, love this site, and am loving having chickens!

My husband got me an anniversary gift....'something you've always wanted'....and my kids introduced me to 3 baby RI Reds. Sweet!

Now, it is 10 weeks later, and we are not sure we have all girls. One is definitely a hen....she is often in a corner or doing her own thing, uninterested in what the other two are doing. Docile, sweet, petite. The other two, however, compete for space near her, and have been showing major aggression towards one another. I know there is no foolproof way of knowing.....I've done the research! However, we cannot keep roosters in our city and the sooner I know if they are dudes, the better! Here is the pic of the latest standoff this afternoon....any and all opinions appreciated! Do I have roosters??!? Help!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

My hes will do that but they don't do it a lot I think they are just trying to get higher on the pecking list or just trying to show who is boss.
welcome-byc.gif
By the way.

Could you get a side-profile and back photo of each bird? Hens will flare like that, but some of those feathers look shiny and possibly pointed (which would be a rooster characteristic).

I think as requested a pair of 'non flaring' side on shots would be easiest to tell.

As an early guess, quite thick legs, dark tail feathers showing on the one on the right and reasonable comb and wattle development I am leaning towards both being cockerels.

Some more pictures would help a final call though.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that your three birds are the ones shown in your avatar pic as well? If so, then can be sexed by that photo. From left to right in the avatar pic: Cockerel, Cockerel, Pullet.

I think Craigslist will be your friend in this case. You can get rid of your cockerels there, and you may be able to find someone selling hens right now (I had some up myself, but I'm too far away). Your little girl is going to need a couple of buddies to be happy.

Welcome to BYC, by the way. Sorry about the cockerels.

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry to say it, but it looks like you've got two cockerels on your hands. Pullets aren't normally that aggressive, thought they do have their not-as-often fair share of pecking order. My main reason for saying they are roos is their already large red combs and saddle feathers starting to come in. RIR pullets don't get quite as large and red combs by that age. Hope this helps! : )

Yes, those two are males. Females can fight just like that, but those combs, shiny saddle feathers and thick legs all say male.

OK - how cool is this! As suggested - profile and back pics.

Here are my birds.

1st 2 pics - Birdie Pearl.
2nd 2 pics - Lil Joe.
5th pic - Birdie Pearl on right, Lil Joe on left.
6th pic - Big Mama. (Ironic. She was the biggest one when we got them).
7th pic - All 3.

The majority of people, including my husband, say Big Mama is the only hen.
Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom