HELP!!!! Are they still alive????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dixiechick, Dec 16, 2008.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Please help!!! My neices were over last night and turned off the incubator!!!!!!! [​IMG]

I noticed it at bedtime. The temp had dropped to 70 degrees. I calculate that they turned it off 4 hours before I noticed.

Are they still viable????? [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I wouldn't count them out just yet! [​IMG]

3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    I would say yes. I've had a broody hen hop off her eggs, and in the morning they were cold, but still hatched. What breed are they?

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Awwww...I know this can be scary!!! They most likely are okay. I had my power go out once for over 6 hours(incubator was of course off) and all still hatched. Think about it---a broody hen doesn't sit on her eggs 24/7. She gets up for awhile to stretch, walk, eat, drink, etc. And the babies still hatch! [​IMG] Most likely they are just fine! Keep us posted!!!

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have heard of people having power outages and still getting a decent hatch. You will probably be fine. Good luck.

6. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    My electricity went out not too long ago and my eggs were on day 14 and I still had an awesome hatch. The temp was in the low 70's by the time I got the bator to work. Yes, work - where they warmed back up until it was time to go home. [​IMG] Do not give up!

7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Quote:Dixie chick..I did the same thing, but the bator had been of for like 23 hours. My chickie chicks are doing just fine. So will yours. Let us know how you do okay? They will be just fine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Tell those nieces that Santa doesn't like it when children touch incubators! [​IMG]

9. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:NO KIDDING!!!!! And I personally told Santa!!!!

Thanks guys for your reassurance. They are rosecomb bantams. Please pray for my little ones...the chicks, not the neices! [​IMG]

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    My hatching eggs from Halo had a similar incident. I ended up with 11 healthy babies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by