HELP ASAP CHICKEN IS VERY ILL

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TayLuvChicken, Jun 13, 2016.

1. TayLuvChicken

TayLuvChicken Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Central Illinois
    So I have a polish crested who hasn't been eating and I picked her up and a bunch of fluid or water maybe came gushing out of her mouth. She was fine yesterday but today she took a turn for the worst. She looks drowsy and keeps falling over. Her droppings are also clear and she refuses to walk around or be with the other chicks.Please help! She's my favorite hens and I don't want to lose her Everytime I pick her up now more and more fluid keeps coming out. What do I do?!

2. TayLuvChicken

May 28, 2016
    Central Illinois
    She now looks even worse. She keeps falling over and can hardly keep her head up. She won't even crow back at the others when they start crowing. Please please help!

3. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    Is she separated from the flock? Maybe try opening her beak. Is there any smell coming from it or from around her head? Try putting some electrolytes in her water.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I wish I knew what to tell you, it does not sound good.

How old is she? I would separate and try to provide electrolytes every half hour or so.

5. TayLuvChicken

May 28, 2016
    Central Illinois
    I put her outside of the coop to see if she would free-range but she won't. There's no smell but it's like she won't have any drainage one minute but the next minute she does. I can try electrolytes and see what happens but it's hard to get her to drink now too.

6. TayLuvChicken

May 28, 2016
    Central Illinois
    She only around 2 months and still small. I've grown really close to this one in particular and now she doesn't even look or act the same. I've never experienced this before so I'm completely clueless on what to do.

7. EggSighted4Life

Do you have it on hand? There are lots of recipes if not. Drip it at the tip of the beak, she will drink it as it flows into her mouth. Provide it right where she is in a comfortable, safe location. And some feed. Wet some feed with the solution. maybe it will go down easier.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry you are having trouble.

8. EggSighted4Life

If you have nutri drench, try that. Some boiled egg yolk might go down well. Trying something is better than nothing!

Have they already been free ranging and in the coop before this, or how long?

9. TayLuvChicken

May 28, 2016
    Central Illinois
    I don't have any electrolyte solution with me but the animal feed store is close. Whatever is best for her I'm willing to do.

10. TayLuvChicken

May 28, 2016
    Central Illinois
    They were free ranging and I noticed that she didn't look very good to I made sure she was put in the shade. They we're in the coop because it was way too hot earlier today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by