Help ASAP for Newly Hatched Cemani Chicks

CochAddict

In the Brooder
May 2, 2020
Just hatched out 6 chicks yesterday. Of the 6, two have very similar leg issues I am hoping to get help identifying and treating or at least to know that euthanizing is the best option before going that route if need be. One chick has it happening in one leg and the other in both. I originally tried a splayed leg/curled toe treatment but that was not working so I put them in the chick chair assuming it was a tendon issue and attempted to move the tendon back into place and tape. However, I am wondering if there is something else going on that is beyond my understanding as these chicks legs just don't seem to cooperate with any treatment. Even in castings they just don't hang right. Also, on each chick one of there knees is scabby/ bloody. Any ideas and information welcome!! IMG_20200917_060457.jpg IMG_20200917_060504.jpg IMG_20200917_061647.jpg

I'm Deffidently not even close to an expert on this, but do you think a splint is possible? You could cut out a stick for each section of the Leg and medical take it on. Continue the curled toe treatment on the bad foot. I have homes for the one with a single bad leg, but the one with both isn't looking to hot, sorry.

(@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock)

Tried to get a picture of what the scabby part looks like. Definitely hurts the chick to attempt to straighten the leg as IMG_20200917_083143.jpg she is trying to peck constantly when I maneuever it. :(

Looking like it will be a cull situation.

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_083143.jpg
    IMG_20200917_083143.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 4
One chick has it happening in one leg and the other in both. I originally tried a splayed leg/curled toe treatment but that was not working so I put them in the chick chair assuming it was a tendon issue and attempted to move the tendon back into place and tape. However, I am wondering if there is something else going on that is beyond my understanding as these chicks legs just don't seem to cooperate with any treatment. Even in castings they just don't hang right. Also, on each chick one of there knees is scabby/ bloody.
Forgot to add- on the chick with only one bad leg, the hock on the bad leg is wider, flater and somwhat swollen feeling.
Hard to know about leg issues.
The one with the wider/flatter swollen joint may have slipped tendon which my understanding is difficult to correct.
Another possibility would be leg bone deformity.
It's up to you whether to cull or not, some folks try to correct the legs and find they need to cull as the bird gains weight. A few have been successful in partially correcting and the bird learned to adapt.
I suppose it all depends on your goals. Even if both make it, I personally would not breed these 2.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/en-c...arus deviation of,in turkeys than in chickens.

Good information from @Wyorp Rock and others. Make sure that you are giving a source of riboflavin (vitamin B2.) Human B complex can be crushed and added to a little water or food daily, and some chicken vitamins also have riboflavin, but check the label.

Back
Top Bottom