HELP ASAP !!!

feldon

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Everson WA
I need advice as fast as possible. I have just come home from the P.O. with my new chicks. I unpacked them & one of them a little Speckled Sussex looks as if it is blind or something. It's little eyes are both closed. What should I do?

Felicity

To start just do some basic support - get them under the heat lamp, put out the food and water, etc. Keep a close eye on the little hurt one to be sure it isn't getting picked on. Dip its beak to be sure it gets liquid.
Possibly it just had a rough trip and got stepped on and bounced around. Are its eyes crusty or discharging?

Thanks everyone. I think all is well. They are under the heat lamp, drinking & feeding. After posting I noticed that another one had an eye closed. I gently stroked it & it opened up. I think maybe the stress of the trip...Texas to WA and them just being day old may have someting to do with it. Right now they are all looking happy & content & all eyes are open
big_smile.png
I'll post pics on the raising chicks forum later.
Thanks again you are all so helpful.
Felicity

Wow..how scary. Glad it's ok!!
woot.gif

How do these little chicks even make it? One day old, from TX to WA. How do they survive? Are they packed a special way, special food, special water? Or are they that tolerant? I hear of people getting chicks through the mail all the time. I'd be a nervous wreck. How do you cope? Or is it all not as bad as it sounds?

Quote:
Chickens are MUCH tougher than we give them credit for. You have to remember, they've survived with little or no help from us for a very long time.
big_smile.png

It might be bad for some people, but really not for us. You're excited for them to get there and all, but it's not like you've gotten attached to them so aren't very worried. I mean, if I was shipping some of our older chickens for whatever reason, THEN I'd be worried. But at that point, it's all in the hands of the hatchery and mail people and there's nothing you can really do about it till they get there.

Keeping busy helps.
smile.png

...that is a misnomer and according to recent research the sooner a bird starts to drink and eat the better it immune competancey is...it can survive but it is by no means advisable...

Back
Top Bottom