HELP ASAP!!!!

We keep our chickens fully enclosed inside an Avery, I have never seen the cockerels fight before( we only had 2 but now we have 1 but will be getting rid of him as he attacks me every time I go to the chickens) I find it very unlikely that the other cockerel killed him, he didn’t have any wounds on him so I’m thinking a respiratory problem. Tonight the Alive cockerels comb was bleeding at the back and so was a hen, no predictor would be able to get in at all.
struggling to breath and making squeaking noises when breathing, he had an extremely dark purple comb

Photos of your aviary?
You have a cockerel that is left alive and has a bleeding comb. You have a hen that is/was bleeding at some point too, but don't feel that the cockerel that died could have been in a fight?
If they get kicked in the throat and/or head that sure can cause respiratory distress. Dark purple comb is lack of oxygen.
Blood spattered everywhere...

If you feel it's respiratory disease then refrigerate the body and make arrangements with your vet or agricultural ministry and have testing and necropsy performed.

Photos of your aviary?
You have a cockerel that is left alive and has a bleeding comb. You have a hen that is/was bleeding at some point too, but don't feel that the cockerel that died could have been in a fight?
If they get kicked in the throat and/or head that sure can cause respiratory distress. Dark purple comb is lack of oxygen.
Blood spattered everywhere...

If you feel it's respiratory disease then refrigerate the body and make arrangements with your vet or agricultural ministry and have testing and necropsy performed.
I had no idea that a fight could cause this much damage as I am 13 years old and a new chicken owner, thank you very much for informing me about all this, it’s. very much appreciated!!
this is the Avery and coop we have from omlet.

Attachments

• A817B931-4718-4FA5-8650-ACFB7054FA26.png
    A817B931-4718-4FA5-8650-ACFB7054FA26.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
I had no idea that a fight could cause this much damage as I am 13 years old and a new chicken owner, thank you very much for informing me about all this, it’s. very much appreciated!!
What breeds do you have and how many chickens?
What you have for housing/as a run looks fine. Housing may be a bit tight quarters, especially for a couple of cockerels.
Just watch to see if there's any more squabbling among the chickens, take note of an off behavior - lethargy, not eating/drinking just to make sure all is o.k.
DO look for any more poop that has blood, having blood in the poop is not normal.

As for your run, that's a nice space but a small predator like a Weasel (I think maybe Stoat? it's called in the UK) can get it, these little critters can kill chickens. I also have fencing and runs where a small predator could get it, so just be aware of that.

We all have a lot to learn both young and old. You are doing fine and I'm very sorry that you had to see your cockerel expire. This is the part of chicken keeping that is not so fun, but it really is part of it even when sad.

Good gravy! You're 13??!!

Do me a favor and go thank whoever raised you. You are very well spoken for 13. You also problem-solver because you took the initiative to find answers to your questions. And you are doing a great job caring for your chickens.

Good gravy! You're 13??!!

Do me a favor and go thank whoever raised you. You are very well spoken for 13. You also problem-solver because you took the initiative to find answers to your questions. And you are doing a great job caring for your chickens.
Aw thank you so much!!

What breeds do you have and how many chickens?
What you have for housing/as a run looks fine. Housing may be a bit tight quarters, especially for a couple of cockerels.
Just watch to see if there's any more squabbling among the chickens, take note of an off behavior - lethargy, not eating/drinking just to make sure all is o.k.
DO look for any more poop that has blood, having blood in the poop is not normal.

As for your run, that's a nice space but a small predator like a Weasel (I think maybe Stoat? it's called in the UK) can get it, these little critters can kill chickens. I also have fencing and runs where a small predator could get it, so just be aware of that.

We all have a lot to learn both young and old. You are doing fine and I'm very sorry that you had to see your cockerel expire. This is the part of chicken keeping that is not so fun, but it really is part of it even when sad.
Okay thank you, I will look out for a change of behaviour and the coop holds up to 10 chickens and we have 6(5 hens, 1 cockerel). And yes there are plenty of pros and cons of owning chickens as I have experienced as another one of my chickens died a few months ago as we let them out of the Avery for a few hours and next doors dog got it ☹️, thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom