Help! Ayam Roo is "sleepy" and liquid is coming from his beak and Silkie Hen is "tired" and doesn't really want to eat/open her beak

BahiyyihAyam

Chirping
Jul 12, 2022
Help!

I have a Ayam Cemani roo (he is probably around 17 weeks old) and just recently (today) he is acting very "sleepy" and has liquid coming out of his beak. Just yesterday he was fine and relaxing with his girls but today he is totally different. Should I isolate him?

I also have a Satin Silkie hen who is some what like the ayam roo but she doesn't open her beak. She will drink water but she won't eat her food. We gave her some dewormer along with the other chickens and some electrolytes and she seems to be more active. We did separate her with food and water.

Their bedding in the coop was just regular shavings with some DE for the flies. Do you think that the DE could've been a problem?

What can I do to help them? I don't want to lose them and I am also scared that whatever they have will be passed onto the other chickens.

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:
This is the roo's mouth. I noticed some slime/saliva that sorta seals it.

As for the silkie, her mouth seems to be sealed, but I do not have a picture yet.

Please help!

Attachments

• A9DE5A5F-1181-4CBB-BCFF-C09A36106459.jpeg
    A9DE5A5F-1181-4CBB-BCFF-C09A36106459.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 6
Is there a bad odor to their breath?

I'd work on hydration. Do check to make sure their crops are emptying overnight.
Photo of the overnight poop would be good too.

Have you seen any mucous from the nostrils, bubbles in the eyes?

What dewormer and dose?

Is there a bad odor to their breath?

I'd work on hydration. Do check to make sure their crops are emptying overnight.
Photo of the overnight poop would be good too.

Have you seen any mucous from the nostrils, bubbles in the eyes?

What dewormer and dose?
I don't smell any bad odor to their breath....

The satin silkie drinks good amounts of water (she just doesn't eat bc she cant seem to open her mouth on her own) and it seems like her crop is empty. Yesterday, there were some bubbles in her eyes, but today they were gone. She is also more active and talkative today.

As for the ayam roo, he acts like a zombie and can't keep his eyes open for more than 10 seconds. He also doesn't want to drink or eat. His crop is very squishy and feels like there is liquid inside. When I massage his crop, liquid comes out of his mouth, but then he drinks it up again. So far, I haven't seen mucus in the nostrils, but I think there is either some thick saliva or mucus in his mouth.

I don't remember the brand of the dewormer, but the directions say to add 3 drops into 1/2 gallon of water. But we also have been giving electrolytes to all the chickens.

I will post pictures of the silkies poo and the roo's in the morning.

UPDATE ON THE AYAM ROO: He died sometime in the early morning because in the morning he was already cold and stiff. In the box he was in, the shavings around him were wet.

The silkie is still alive and I don't want to lose her. Any ideas/tips/suggestions that can help her get better? She still doesn't eat or open her beak. Her crop is empty. Will post a picture of her poop.

Here is a picture of the silkies poop. Is this poop getting more normal or is she getting worse? A couple days ago she has milky white poop. Now it seems like its more liquidy and has green stuff in it. She is more active but just won't eat. Should I be giving her dewormer, continuing electrolytes or regular water?

Attachments

• image (35).jpg
    image (35).jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I don't remember the brand of the dewormer, but the directions say to add 3 drops into 1/2 gallon of water. But we also have been giving electrolytes to all the chickens.

The silkie is still alive and I don't want to lose her. Any ideas/tips/suggestions that can help her get better? She still doesn't eat or open her beak. Her crop is empty. Will post a picture of her poop.
I'm sorry to hear he died.

Please post a photo of the dewormer and of the Silkie.

How old is she?
If she can't open her beak to eat, then how is she drinking?
I'd tube or syringe fluids into her. Get a good look inside her beak for any lesions or canker.
Bubbles in the eyes might be an indication of respiratory infection. You can try an antibiotic to see if that makes a difference. Tylosin/Tylan is often used for respiratory infection.

She hasn't eaten any moldy feed has she?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

I'm sorry to hear he died.

Please post a photo of the dewormer and of the Silkie.

How old is she?
If she can't open her beak to eat, then how is she drinking?
I'd tube or syringe fluids into her. Get a good look inside her beak for any lesions or canker.
Bubbles in the eyes might be an indication of respiratory infection. You can try an antibiotic to see if that makes a difference. Tylosin/Tylan is often used for respiratory infection.

She hasn't eaten any moldy feed has she?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/
The silkie is around 4-5 months old. She can't open her beak but it isn't completely closed (if that makes sense)... just enough to slurp water. She pecks at the food, but can't open it to completely eat all of it.

Inside her mouth, there is a little bit of white "slime" or "gew".

Based off of what I'm seeing, she doesn't seem to have any more bubbles in her eyes. I will try Tyosin/Tylan though, to see if it helps out.

I don't think she has eaten any moldy food... I do change our her food to prevent.

This is the dewormer we used and a picture of the silkies eye. I opened her eye but I don't see any bubbles. But now she is breathing hard and doesn't want to move around too much.

Attachments

• image (36).jpg
    image (36).jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 5
  • ED1C5F25-E23D-4AC6-92CF-14B3E6142D1F.jpeg
    ED1C5F25-E23D-4AC6-92CF-14B3E6142D1F.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 6
She puts her head down once in a while… I am going to my vacation home and taking her with us. If she continues the same or gets worse, is it worth putting her down? I really don’t want to do that because she is just so adorable and I already lost 2 chickens in the past month. What should I do?

Attachments

• DBAB9452-B2BE-4E73-89FE-320ECE61BF64.jpeg
    DBAB9452-B2BE-4E73-89FE-320ECE61BF64.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom