1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, baby chick hatching

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LynnPG, Jul 24, 2016.

1. LynnPG

LynnPG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    This baby chick hatched, but I'm worried about this attachment on its bottom. Is this normal? The other chick didn't have this

2. LynnPG

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    Picture won't upload

3. LynnPG

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    Picture won't upload

4. MargaretYakoda

MargaretYakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Irondale, Wa
    The attachment... Does it look like a pencil eraser? Or does it look like a tiny umbilical cord?

If it looks like a pencil eraser that's probably a slightly open navel. Take EXTREME care to keep that chick clean until it heals up.

If it looks like a tiny umbilical cord DO NOT PULL IT. Take some clean scissors (wipe them with alcohol first) and snip it, but not tooo close to the chick. Clip it close enough that the chick won't trip on it, and that other chicks won't try to eat it thinking it's a worm. It is, essentially, an umbilical cord.

If it doesn't look like an umbilical cord OR a pencil eraser, then we really do need a picture to help you further.

I have my fingers crossed for you!

BTW how did the cracked egg do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by