HELP baby chick!

two j farm

Crowing
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
This chick pip the middle of the egg. It is alive and in air cell. Will it pip the egg again or what? Should I do something it has been this was all day.

Alright did you post in the incubating with friends thread? There are a lot of super knowledgeable people who subscribe there to help out people who have these problems. Is the chick moving? Did you open the incubator? What is your humidity at? Did you candle?

Once the chick pips the egg, try not to open up your incubator, or you can cause a problem called shrink wrapping, whereby the lack of humidity causes the membrane to dry out and cling to the chick. It will die if it doesn't get help if it is shrink wrapped. If it is moist enough, leave it alone. Chicks can be pipped for a whole day resting and breathing before they even try to hatch.

The time from pip to zip is different for every chick. Some birds are lazy. The egg yolk, their food source, should last for several days before you need to worry, as long as the membrane stays moist enough.

If it starts to look like it is trying to zip, and not getting anywhere, I suggest you look up the assisted hatching sticky by Sally Sunshine. It can guide you step by step, and helps you to know if you really truely should assist or not. If the chick is not ready to come out, and you assist prematurely, it is likely to die.

Thanks I have helped chicks before but this is new for me never had one pip in the middle of the egg. The pip is not in air cell but the chick is that's what Im worried about. Everything is fine in incubator humidity and temperature. I think chick piped egg before air cell. Wasn't sure if it would pip again in the right place. Thanks for help!

I hope it isn't malposition. Keep an eye on it, and if it looks like it is trying to zip, or appears distressed, definitely go through the assisted hatching sticky. I've used that sticky a lot for reference.

As of this morning the chick is still alive. I did help the chick a little. I found the head. I going to see if it can finish hatching on it own. But will be keeping a eye on it.

Did you check the assisted hatching article by Sally Sunshine? It's got nearly all the info you could need, and pictures to boot.

Back
Top Bottom