1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! baby coturnix got foot problem!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rjr, Aug 23, 2011.

1. rjr

rjr New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    hello every one!! I hatched my first lot of coturnix quai yesterday. I was very excited as i set 7 eggs and got 7 babies from parents in my garden!! any way 2 of them have almost like a club foot the toes haven't uncurled and one poor baby has 2 feet like it!! have tried little carboard shoes but thry keep falling off don't know what to do or if it'll sort it's self out any advice would be great!! thanks bek:/

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's usually caused from low humidity during incubation, causing them to take longer to hatch. I've tried boots on them but they rarely work. One thing I found that did work though was keeping them on 1/4" wire for the first few days. As long as their legs are straight, their toes will get between the wire and straighten out. You can also 'stretch' the feet out a few times a day, that should help. Basically, it's a really, really bad cramp.

3. rjr

rjr New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks! Will definately try the sretching . They seem to get around ok .

4. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    hope they get better, no one likes to see little fuzzy butts that arn't perfect.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Feet are easier to fix than legs, so they should be fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by