Help! Baby duck can't lift it's head!

Katelyn1153

Hatching
6 Years
May 5, 2013

This baby duck hatched about 24 hours ago and he's not wet anymore. He/she can't seem to lift its head and there almost looks like there's a kink in it. I took my finger to hold it up for it but it just started chirping really loud so I stopped. Do I need to cull it? Will it eventually be able to lift it?

This baby duck hatched about 24 hours ago and he's not wet anymore. He/she can't seem to lift its head and there almost looks like there's a kink in it. I took my finger to hold it up for it but it just started chirping really loud so I stopped. Do I need to cull it? Will it eventually be able to lift it?
Give the wee one some time, being all balled up in the egg takes some a little longer than others, also go ahead and get some poultry vitamins just in case it has wry neck that way you'll be on top of it fast. some use children's poly vi sol with out iron too.

What a precious new little life. Thiamine deficiency can also cause neck problems. As Miss Lydia has said- getting some vitamins is a good idea for this little one. You should be able to get poultry vitamins at any feed store in powdered form but also vitamins for caged birds is just as good. That type normally comes as a liquid. You may need to get a syringe or an eyedroper to help this little one drink until it can gain some strength.

From what I'v looked up it seems to be wry neck. He has the will to live he just can't seem to move very much. I'v been giving him enfamil children's multi vitamins without iron, vitamin E and non flavored electrolihhts. He's so cute and just loves being held. I'm really hoping I can help him and that he will make it. He was able to life his head for 5 seconds today then fell back down and hasn't gotten up much since

From what I'v looked up it seems to be wry neck. He has the will to live he just can't seem to move very much. I'v been giving him enfamil children's multi vitamins without iron, vitamin E and non flavored electrolihhts. He's so cute and just loves being held. I'm really hoping I can help him and that he will make it. He was able to life his head for 5 seconds today then fell back down and hasn't gotten up much since
Keep up the TLC it's amazing what they can get through.
fl.gif
Thanks for update!

He's really improving! He is now starting to move around and he's eating a little more. He can lift his head for about 15 seconds then he has to put it back down again. My question is how long do I keep giving him the electro lights and the vitamins? I am going to keep giving them to him until I think it's going to get as good as its going to get. I guess what I'm asking is if he does get better do I keep giving them to him for the rest of his life? Does wry neck come back if I stop giving them to him? Also is baby food bad to feed him? I can't find formula without iron in it. Is iron really that bad for ducks? Sorry I'm a first timer at duck hatching. I only did 1 duck egg and he hatched with wry neck. I guess this is a great learning experience and he's only my first lol.

He's really improving! He is now starting to move around and he's eating a little more. He can lift his head for about 15 seconds then he has to put it back down again. My question is how long do I keep giving him the electro lights and the vitamins? I am going to keep giving them to him until I think it's going to get as good as its going to get. I guess what I'm asking is if he does get better do I keep giving them to him for the rest of his life? Does wry neck come back if I stop giving them to him? Also is baby food bad to feed him? I can't find formula without iron in it. Is iron really that bad for ducks? Sorry I'm a first timer at duck hatching. I only did 1 duck egg and he hatched with wry neck. I guess this is a great learning experience and he's only my first lol.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761308/peking-duckling-with-crooked-neck-help this is an inspiring thread. and if you type wry neck in the search at top of page you'll find more. I would keep up with vitamins until it's completely gone then switch to some kind of poultry vitamin to put into his water. and give that daily till at least 10-12 weeks. make sure it has Niacin in it because that's a very important vitamin for ducklings to have for strong legs and neurological health. Can you get him some duck starter or chick starter and mix it with warm water? I only know the extra iron isn't good I'd have to research why. He needs a really good feed that is balanced for ducklings not for human babies, also an All Flock would be good [crumble] because it can be fed from hatch till end of their lives without having to change. I use it and give my layers oyster shell on the side for extra calcium. So happy to hear the duckling is doing so well. Keep up the TLC and it will be up running around soon. If you have a stuffed animal and a animal safe mirror those things will make it happy too. Keep the updates coming.

After a week of pumping this little guy will the enfamil liquid vitamins and putting pure electro lights in his water he's at 100%!!! He swims and lives to snuggle with the chicks! Can't believe how far he's come, since there was a point when I didn't think he would make it. Thanks for all the advice and help. We really appreciate it!

After a week of pumping this little guy will the enfamil liquid vitamins and putting pure electro lights in his water he's at 100%!!! He swims and lives to snuggle with the chicks! Can't believe how far he's come, since there was a point when I didn't think he would make it. Thanks for all the advice and help. We really appreciate it!
Aww what a sweetie, Congrats on seeing him through the rough times.
thumbsup.gif

I know this is a long shot since its a old thread. Our 3 ducklings hatched yesterday and 1 is having the same issues as your one. It was a long night me checking it to see if it was still alive and worrying for it. I saw you said you gave the enfamil but cant seem to find exactly the type to use, do you know exactly the name of the product so I can give it to my little one in hopes of helping it thrive?

Aww what a sweetie, Congrats on seeing him through the rough times.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom