help baby duck seems to have a lump under its belly

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zuhms, Oct 21, 2011.

1. zuhms

zuhms New Egg

Oct 21, 2011
    HELP ! my magpie duck (about 2-3weeks old) seems to have some sort of lump underneath its belly towards the legs. my family just noticed it this morning and we're not sure if its an infection, abscess, etc. we're not sure if its serious or what can come of it and i was hoping i could find answers here. should we take her to a vet? has anyone seen something like this before and if so, how can we treat it? any help will be greatly appreciated. here are some pictures as to what it looks like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It could possibly be a hernia. I had a problem similar about 2 years ago and that was what I was told was most likely the problem. I will pm you a link to the information.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Does it have an odor? duckyfromoz if you're watching this post, do you think it could be omphalitis?

zuhms, if I misspelled it badly, or if you're not familiar, it's an infection in the belly that starts before the duckling's belly completely closes when it hatches.

Anyway, if it's an infection, then oral antibiotics, and right away, may be the best thing. If you're not sure, at least give the duckling some extra swim time in warm (about 85 F) water and then rub some triple antibiotic ointment over the lump.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by