Help Baby pigeon dying

Pics

GoldenFlight

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
So I started taking care of two baby pigeons that were two weeks old because their parents weren’t feeding them enough. I’ve been hand feeding them in the house for about two weeks and they were doing good until a few days ago they stopped standing up and got weaker and weaker... last night the smaller one died. I really need help to revive the other one!

Ive been feeding them ground up cereal, corn, oatmeal, almonds, wheat, and thawed peas.
image.jpg

So I started taking care of two baby pigeons that were two weeks old because their parents weren’t feeding them enough. I’ve been hand feeding them in the house for about two weeks and they were doing good until a few days ago they stopped standing up and got weaker and weaker... last night the smaller one died. I really need help to revive the other one!

Ive been feeding them ground up cereal, corn, oatmeal, almonds, wheat, and thawed peas.View attachment 2504315
I am so sorry. I have had this happening while hand raising. The only thing that has helped is get them under a temperature of 80 degrees. Once they warm up, feed slowly.

Let me know if you need any other help. You got this @GoldenFlight :highfive:

Thanks for the tag @Gudetama !

I am so sorry. I have had this happening while hand raising. The only thing that has helped is get them under a temperature of 80 degrees. Once they warm up, feed slowly.

Let me know if you need any other help. You got this @GoldenFlight
I actually have a lot of tropical house plants, so I keep my room steady between 78-85. So I’m afraid it’s nothing to do with temperature...☹️ Do you think they could be lacking in some important nutrients? I know some pigeons can raise babies on purely corn from farms, so I don’t see how I could be doing less than that.

I know some pigeons can raise babies on purely corn from farms, so I don’t see how I could be doing less than that.
Diet is what pigeons rely on. This is where the majority of their vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, etc come from. without a good diet, a pigeon is incapable of doing anything. What are you feeding your adult pairs?

Diet is what pigeons rely on. This is where the majority of their vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, etc come from. without a good diet, a pigeon is incapable of doing anything. What are you feeding your adult pairs?
My pigeons are free range all spring, summer, and fall, so they are eating mostly spilled grains from trains and trucks. Sometimes I’ll give them a feed like all flock, but they usually prefer to find their own food. In the winter they mostly eat corn, wheat, safflower, and all flock. I know their diet is nothing like people recommend, but they are very healthy birds! Most days right now are 0-20°F and they are still looking beautiful and raising healthy babies. The only reason i brought these babies inside was because it was a first time mother and she just wasn’t doing quite enough to keep them fed.

The baby that died last night was the first pigeon I’ve lost since fall and I have 30 birds.

I just gave the chick the electrolyte solution, so I’m praying it helps her!

I actually have a lot of tropical house plants, so I keep my room steady between 78-85. So I’m afraid it’s nothing to do with temperature...☹ Do you think they could be lacking in some important nutrients? I know some pigeons can raise babies on purely corn from farms, so I don’t see how I could be doing less than that.
I don't think it's the fault of the diet you are giving. Are you feeding it as a gruel about the consistency of ketchup and at about body temperature? Or are you giving water separately? You are waiting for the crop to empty between feelings and feeding about twice a day?
Does the remaining bird seem ill also? The one that died may have had Salmonella/paratyphoid, canker or something else, so hard to know. Sorry for your loss.

My pigeons are free range all spring, summer, and fall, so they are eating mostly spilled grains from trains and trucks. Sometimes I’ll give them a feed like all flock, but they usually prefer to find their own food. In the winter they mostly eat corn, wheat, safflower, and all flock. I know their diet is nothing like people recommend, but they are very healthy birds! Most days right now are 0-20°F and they are still looking beautiful and raising healthy babies. The only reason i brought these babies inside was because it was a first time mother and she just wasn’t doing quite enough to keep them fed.
I find nothing to criticize in the diet you are feeding. I think I have seen your birds years ago. Didn't you or your brother post some amazing videos?

Back
Top Bottom