help baby pigeons keep on dying

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
Hi today I found my baby pigeon dead and this is not the first time this happened the ones that died all had really really tiny parasites. He was really fine the first week but today I found lying in his nest with holes near his crop then I found a worm a black one on him is there anything that can get rid of these parasite like natural herbs like garlic water for worms stuff like that and also I'm scared that these bugs infect the parents

Last edited:
I found a worm a black one on him is there anything that can get rid of these parasite
I have seen squab pigeons with up to 300 roundwonns. Given the fact that each roundworm can produce several thousand eggs per day, the potential for environmental contamination and infection is enormous. They are a serious pnmary parasite, which weaken the hirds, leading to a delay in laying, reduced growth rate, and delayed weaning and poor food conversion. They also create a vulnerability to other secondary infections. As the drugs to clear tthese are cheap, and there are big production advantages to be had through their control, I feel that it is best to totally eradicate these parasites. Because of the time factor, individual medication is out and we must look at using water-soluble preparations. A cheap one that is very effective is Moxidectin (1 mg/ml). The dose is 10 ml to 1 litre of water for 24 hours. As any droppings passed prior to worming will contain worm eggs, they have the potential to reinfect the birds, ideally cleaning should follow a worning treatment. In a squab situation, it is not usually practical to meticulously clean the loft as is the case in racing establishments and so it is best to reworm the birds at a 21-day interval (which is the parasite’s life cycle). Roundwonn eggs only remain viable for 6 months in the environment and so if 1 day on Moxidectin is given every 21 days for this length of time, roundwonns can then be cleared. New birds can be held in isolation and treated withg Moxidectin prior to entering the main loft. Microscopic examination of the droppings can be done at any tune to monitor the treatinent's success.

Last edited:
.but in my town or maybe my country doesn't have any pet store or like that medicine is there something more naturally I don't have any money so please give something help I appreciate your help

Last edited:

thanks hokum I will give that a try do I have to put apple cider vinegar in the water or do I spray it on pigeons sorry this is the first time I used apple cider vinegar

thanks hokum I will give that a try do I have to put apple cider vinegar in the water A couple tablespoons in your water should work and try to keep your loft and nesting area as clean as possible with a solution of water and vinegar. I would not recommend spraying vinegar on the birds. I never heard of it done before. I would also follow some of the procedures in my very first post.

Last edited:
yes, a tablespoon or two o vinager in each gallon of water, along with vinager in bathing water, dry wood ash for dust bathing n not letting ash get wet as can burn them wet (though they can eat dry n helps parisites internally too), or us diatmacious earth which is either from volcanic ash or tiny sea creature fossils etc, and fresh garlic seed/chopped cloves in feed (also supposedly can be used in water but just rotted n my chickens wouldn't drink) will supposedly naturally cure parasites. Some racers use a cap of bleach per week per gallon of water (I've never tried n would try rest first)..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom