Help! badly hurt chicken, rooster severally attacked hen

Nanny Deb

Songster
5 Years
May 25, 2017
NC
My roster attacked my hen last night before going to bed.. I had spent the late afternoon with them building a 4x4 separation area for the aging babys who are almost ready to join the flock.. MY little white Leghorn chicken was being a bit aggressive and kept pecking at me so I shoved or swooshed her away with my broom... Later Roo attacker her and before I could get to her her little comb was quite bloody, she was dazed and wouldn't move.. I separated her, loved on her and put her in pin... 20 min later She is squawking so loud the neighbors could hear here ( I live on 18 acres). so I put her it the separated area inside the coop in one of the laying boxes. This morning I checked her and she isn't putting weight on one leg. I looked her over and see no physical signs of breaks. Her wing also droops slightly. when I hold her up her one leg goes straight out. Any Ideas on what to do... Roos spurs are long and needed cut but are blunt as l do try to keep them cut. No chicken docs in my area.. So Its just me... sure could use so advise.

I would clean any bloody areas and use a painkiller-free triple antibiotic cream on them (def keep her separated, the other chickens will want to peck the wounds) and give her half of a baby aspirin (she should peck it right out of your hand) to help with the leg pain. If you see no breaks or visible injuries to the leg, she probably just twisted it trying to get away and it should heal as long as you limit her ability to move around. I would give her scrambled eggs and plain Greek yogurt for added protein to aid in the healing process, and a little electrolytes or ACV in her water.

I would clean any bloody areas and use a painkiller-free triple antibiotic cream on them (def keep her separated, the other chickens will want to peck the wounds) and give her half of a baby aspirin (she should peck it right out of your hand) to help with the leg pain. If you see no breaks or visible injuries to the leg, she probably just twisted it trying to get away and it should heal as long as you limit her ability to move around. I would give her scrambled eggs and plain Greek yogurt for added protein to aid in the healing process, and a little electrolytes or ACV in her water.
thank you so much... Im on it.... I may put her in a smaller cage as she has 4 by 4 to roam now.. Again thank you so much! she is my favorite, even though she is a stinker...

thank you so much... Im on it.... I may put her in a smaller cage as she has 4 by 4 to roam now.. Again thank you so much! she is my favorite, even though she is a stinker...
You’re welcome, chickens are resilient... I’m sure with some rest and recovery time she will be just fine!

Back
Top Bottom