1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help ! Bald head Bright Red

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tjabbie, Jun 2, 2016.

1. tjabbie

tjabbie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Im reading previous threads but cant see pics on these threads. I apologize if ive missed answers on other threads.
    Ive got a 14 month old banty hen, very docile thats been picked on at nite during roosting. I keep checking and cant find any bugs ? I dont see any movement. I applied "horsemans dream veterinary first aide cream last nite. Ive never dusted my chickens for bugs but strip their house completely down and power wash/bleach their perches with attached poopboxes replenish with fresh straw/hay bedding and pine shavings in their roostbar/box. None of my other chickens have this. Am i missing something ?? Pics included. Her vent area is normal skin colored no signs of any bugs. Can someone post pics of mite infestation so i can see what it looks like ? Thank you in advance[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've had a few like that.....
    ...after ruling out lice/mites, I didn't worry about it, eventually the feathers grew back after a molt.
    Not sure if pecking was an issue, if it was it wasn't severe enough to break the skin.

Checking for bugs:
    Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
    Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
    Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
    Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

1 person likes this.
  3. tjabbie

tjabbie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2015
    I appreciate your help. Ill keep applying the cream. It has alot of good properties too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by