Help ! Bald head Bright Red

tjabbie

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2015

Im reading previous threads but cant see pics on these threads. I apologize if ive missed answers on other threads.
Ive got a 14 month old banty hen, very docile thats been picked on at nite during roosting. I keep checking and cant find any bugs ? I dont see any movement. I applied "horsemans dream veterinary first aide cream last nite. Ive never dusted my chickens for bugs but strip their house completely down and power wash/bleach their perches with attached poopboxes replenish with fresh straw/hay bedding and pine shavings in their roostbar/box. None of my other chickens have this. Am i missing something ?? Pics included. Her vent area is normal skin colored no signs of any bugs. Can someone post pics of mite infestation so i can see what it looks like ? Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I've had a few like that.....
...after ruling out lice/mites, I didn't worry about it, eventually the feathers grew back after a molt.
Not sure if pecking was an issue, if it was it wasn't severe enough to break the skin.

Checking for bugs:
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).
Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

I appreciate your help. Ill keep applying the cream. It has alot of good properties too.

Chicken Bug Treatment

I haven’t noticed lice or mites on the head, and never noticed them damaging feathers.

I couldn’t paste my pictures of mites, lice or their eggs.

1-3 mm long tan colored lice can be seen on the skin around the vent area, scurrying away from light.

White to tan colored lice eggs are most prevalent on the base of feathers around and near the vent.

Lice feed on skin dander and vent poop primarily and result in extreme scratching and preening by the chicken.

Mites are very small and not usually found on chickens during daytime.

Mites feed by sucking blood. Both can kill chickens if left untreated.

Chickens that are scratching and preening for bugs can pull their feathers out.

Missing feathers on the back of the head are usually caused by a mating rooster or a dominant hen pecking at the back of the head, back or tail areas.

My favorite bug treatment is from chrysanthemum flowers:

(Pyrethrin, Resmithrin or any of the chemicals that sound similar).

Resmethrin belongs to a group of insecticides called pyrethroids.

Pyrethroids are man-made chemicals that are similar to pyrethrins, a natural insecticide made from chrysanthemum flowers.

Resmethrin is generally used in and around homes and food-handling facilities, and on pets or livestock to control flying or crawling insects, especially mosquitoes.

Resmethrin is a colorless to yellow-brown liquid that has an odor similar to chrysanthemum flowers.

It is not very dangerous to handle or inhale pyrethrins.

Chrysanthemum flowers can be added to your salad for beautiful color accents.

BUT: I ALWAYS wash my hands and REMOVE my clothes outside or in the enclosed tub or shower areas and place CLOTHING immediately in the washer.

Some people wear hazmat suits when examining and treating chickens

You don’t want chicken bugs crawling on you inside your house!

Pyrethrin doesn’t affect chickens, even if they preen their feathers after treatment.

Spray 2-3 squirts aimed at the base of feathers around the vent, under the wings and along the back.

Then rub it all around those areas.

A ‘household perimeter bug spray’~from pyrethroids

Available at Walmart for under $5 for a quart spray bottle.

Wild birds that land in the coop to eat or drink usually carry bugs that spread to chickens.

I treat any incoming chickens that have bugs twice, one week apart.

I check chickens every time they hop on my lap or if I pick them up.

If I find bugs in the flock, they get immediate treatment.

Spring and fall I do a thorough check of all birds.

If bugs are found on one bird, all get treated.

It is harmless to chickens and their eggs.

BUT I would rinse off all eggs before refrigeration or use.

Patrick Perry
Salt Lake City
A Worm’s Tale®

Back
Top Bottom