Help! Band left on foot too tight!

Chocosilkie

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2021
I’m not sure what to do! I typically have small breed chickens and had a random barnyard chick which I believe is a brahma. We put bands in them (never again) and we thought they had plenty of grow room. Obviously this chicken grew much bigger and faster and with the feathers on her feet, we kind of forgot about the bands. I noticed she wasn’t laying anymore and she’s only 6 months old. That’s when I saw her swollen foot. It’s crusty and almost grown into her foot. I feel terrible. I managed to cut off a small piece hoping it would relieve the pressure and now it looks worst and bleeding. Is there anything I can do? Will it need to be surgically removed? The leg is swollen but not black or anything. I tried to soak it a little but she’s not having it. I also separated her from the coop.

Attachments

• FFA00710-BB6B-4F8B-9544-D2C29295DC52.jpeg
    FFA00710-BB6B-4F8B-9544-D2C29295DC52.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I also would recommend getting the rest of the band off. Get some help holding her, and a pair of scissors or tweezers to get under the band. First though, disinfect the area with chlorhexidene or betadine, and afterward, apply some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. It should heal. You are so fortunate to have discovered this in time to save the foot.

After you get the band off, I would bring her inside and soak just her legs in a warm pan of Epsom salts water. Then apply some antibiotic ointment when dry. You could do that once a day for several days, and hopefully the swelling will go down and help the scab to heal.

I also would recommend getting the rest of the band off. Get some help holding her, and a pair of scissors or tweezers to get under the band. First though, disinfect the area with chlorhexidene or betadine, and afterward, apply some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. It should heal. You are so fortunate to have discovered this in time to save the foot.
Thank you so much! Although I can’t see the rest of the band as it’s under almost a scab. Do you think pulling with tweezers is safe?

I only have 8 chickens and she’s one of my only two layers. They are family so I could take her to the vet if absolutely necessary and if I can get in!

Back
Top Bottom