Help...bantam pheonix, does anyone know about them?

AWChickens

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Bloomington, IN
I bought a mixed bag of 2 week old chicks a while back, some bantam and some not.

All pullets
lol.png
, and at 2 months old the barred rocks are noticeably larger than my bantams- the phoenix hen is not though. She's lovely, single comb, and I think looks like a phoenix and not a cross….but she’s very small. Which lead me to wonder if there is such a thing as a bantam phoenix? I did a little research and found out that there is...but couldn't find out much info. Does anyone out there have bantam phoenix that could tell me what to expect with her...how big will she get, what about eggs, etc?

She's beautiful and so sweet, I think I'll have to find a rooster for her in the spring. Pictures are of her at 2 mos, still a little straggly but feathers are coming in nicely. She does have the cutest, wavy comb though- are they usually straight? Will the wavy comb be something she would pass on if I hatched her eggs? I would love to see any pictures of more bantam phoenix...she's the first I've ever seen.
15872_chickens_017.jpg

15872_chickens_013.jpg

15872_chickens.jpg

Last edited:
Well, a roo would be okay- since the others are definitely girls. I've had a really hard time finding pictures of this breed to compare- what makes you say he? (I'm trying to learn as I go- the others I have were much easier, lots of pics and information to be found)

I have a Bantam BBR Cockerel, he is fairly calm considering I have not handled him like I should. I need to either sell him or find him a girl.
He gets along with my other bantam cockerel and doesn;t take any crap off the big guys....

Hi my name is jamie and we also just bought a phoenix hen. She is about a year old and she is a silver. From what info I can find {which isn't much} she is a silver. They should olny weight about 23 oz. or so and are considered a rare/exotic breed. Your chick looks like a hen to me as much as I can tell. Our girl is sweet but still a little flighty.

My one question is what color are the legs? They look light (white/pinkish) in the pic, they should be slate color.

This guy/girl is pretty calm once you pick him up. I've handled him a lot and he's still more standoffish than the others. Still no crowing but only 2 months old. His legs are slate colored- I took those pictures outside right as the sun was setting, and everybody got a kind of halo-glow thing going...I took one of the same age bantam BR that makes her look like a little chicky angel!

And thanks for the replies, I just have had a really hard itme finding ANY information on these guys! And of course next Spring, when I know if I have a boy or girl for sure, I'll have to find a second one so this little one isn't all alone in my mixed bantam flock

Back
Top Bottom