1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!! Bantam seizures!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jadenthechicken, Jan 24, 2014.

1. jadenthechicken

jadenthechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    My Black tailed Japanese bantam hen is having weird seizures and throwing her head back and twisting it! I'm afraid she is going to die so help me please!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is the chicken actually having a seizure or is the neck twisting? Their is a condition called wry neck/crook neck/ torticollis that is a symptom of a disease such as Mareks or Newcastles disease and others, and can be a result of a head injury or a vitamin deficiency. Is there any history of those causes? Vitamins (B1, E, and selenium) may be eneficial along with isolation for peace and quiet, and less stimulation. Here is a link to read: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In addition to what eggcessive said, those types of seizures can mean the dying process has started. I really hope that's not the case... If I were you I would treat as she suggested. [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by