Help! Bare, bloody butt pic

You can cut the toe out of an old pair of panty hose about 6 inches long. You can pour in sevin dust and DE then tie off the end with a slip knot. Not too tight so you can open it and refill it when needed. You can use that like a powder puff and fluff it all over your chicken's body and especially around the vent where those critters like to hang out.

If it is mites you will see them around the vent if you go out at night and use a flashlight to look. You'll need to clean your coop and dust it well too. In about 10 days retreat your chickens and hopefully that will end the problem.

Thanks Miss Prissy.
I assume that means I'll have to catch them first? Or I could throw it at them
gig.gif

That's kinda my problem. I never really raised them to be handled, though one comes up to me to be pet. My coop is not a walk-in either. So I would have to reach in there and try and grab one, then hope the commotion doesn't have the others hop out the door into the wide open spaces of my unfenced yard.
That's also the problem of checking them at night. I'd have to lean way in and snag one off the perch, then turn her upside down, holding her in one hand with the flashlight in the other to take a peak.
Live and learn I guess.

And they didn't go in their DE dust bath all day, but I'm hoping tomorrow they will. Maybe they just need to get used to it being there.

good luck grabing your hens - I have the other problem all my hens want to be held and cuddled at the same time - there is only one of me and 9 of them !!!
if you use the pine tar - be prepared that stuff is VERY VERY sticky and thick and has a strong pine smell - dont bother DH but I dont like it much - you will need to apply it with a brush and you will need someone to hold the chicken - they really dont like this sticky smelly stuff smeared on thier butt LOL.

but it worked great but my girl was getting pecked at by the others - I checked it was not mites or anything

Julie

I have a flock of 50 hens and they are not tame....not to worry........DE and Sevin go inside their nest boxes that are lined with grass hay. They lay in it each day on their own with no trauma to their nerves. It is the passive way to apply when needed. Easy peasy.... Our farm also puts it all over the entire outdoor run and dirt bath areas, and as prevention in the feed at 2%...the dogs get it too and so do the humans.

For 10 years been spraying Farnam Wound-Kote on any pecked bums or combs and it lasts a week. Covers the red spots too to prevent attention from the other hens. You can spray your birds while roosting at night. Easy peasy......$7 online or feed stores.
It must be easy or we won't maintain the doctoring they need.
  • 12186_S_vvs_000.jpg
  • 12186_S_vvs_000.jpg
  • 12186_S_vvs_000.jpg

A quick drying, penetrating antiseptic dressing. Formulated for surface wounds, minor cuts and skin abrasions. Coats the wound, disinfects it and aids in early scab formation for quick healing. Not easily rubbed or washed off. An aid against bacterial infections common in skin lesions.

Back
Top Bottom