Help, Barred Rock Pullet or Cockerl?

Ronh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if my Barred Rock is a pullet or cockrel? It tends to act like a boss/lead bird. It and the Blk Orp did not get along at all when she was introduced to the flock, but now the Orp follows it every where!
I had gotten four chicks back in June from a hatachery which all were supposed to be all females: Barred Rock, Wyndotte, Black Star, Buff Orphington (lost to a predator) so replaced with the Black Orphington. They are around 18 weeks old, the Blk Orp is around 20 weeks old from a local show breeder. Thanks.

Here is my little flock.

I can't tell , but its posture is taller than the rest and we are always fluffing out the neck feathers. No crowing so........

Definitely a rooster. He looks just like the young rooster I hatched last May. Here is a picture to show your the difference in a barred rock hen and rooster.

Cock-a-doodle-roo!
D.gif

Thanks again folks. I suspected as much, but have very little experience raising chickens ( 3 1/2 months). I do like him so we'll keep him around unless he gives cause not too.

When do Barred Rock Cockrels began the attempt at crowing? A friend of mine has an Orphington that is the same age as my guy that started weeks ago, but not my guy!

My BR rooster is about 5 months old now and he hasn't attempted crowing either. My grandpa told me he would at about 6 months or so. Hopefully both of our roosters will start to crow before too long.

Back
Top Bottom