Help, Barred Rock Pullet or Cockerl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ronh, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Ronh

Ronh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if my Barred Rock is a pullet or cockrel? It tends to act like a boss/lead bird. It and the Blk Orp did not get along at all when she was introduced to the flock, but now the Orp follows it every where!
    I had gotten four chicks back in June from a hatachery which all were supposed to be all females: Barred Rock, Wyndotte, Black Star, Buff Orphington (lost to a predator) so replaced with the Black Orphington. They are around 18 weeks old, the Blk Orp is around 20 weeks old from a local show breeder. Thanks.

Here is my little flock.
    [​IMG]

I can't tell , but its posture is taller than the rest and we are always fluffing out the neck feathers. No crowing so........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Syerf

Syerf Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    rooster

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Rooster

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rooster. Barred hens are a lot darker. Also, note those pretty tail feathers? Those are all boy.

5. Ronh

Ronh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks folks, now when do they start crowing? Not a peep form that beak except swaks and burp, burp, burps.

6. douglas08

douglas08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Tennessee
    Definitely a rooster. He looks just like the young rooster I hatched last May. Here is a picture to show your the difference in a barred rock hen and rooster.
    [​IMG]

7. Cock-a-doodle-roo! [​IMG]

8. Ronh

Ronh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thanks again folks. I suspected as much, but have very little experience raising chickens ( 3 1/2 months). I do like him so we'll keep him around unless he gives cause not too.

9. Ronh

Ronh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    When do Barred Rock Cockrels began the attempt at crowing? A friend of mine has an Orphington that is the same age as my guy that started weeks ago, but not my guy!

10. douglas08

douglas08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Tennessee
    My BR rooster is about 5 months old now and he hasn't attempted crowing either. My grandpa told me he would at about 6 months or so. Hopefully both of our roosters will start to crow before too long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by