1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! BCM candling question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GirlWithTheTJ, Jan 18, 2017.

1. GirlWithTheTJ

GirlWithTheTJ Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2015
    Markerville, Alberta
    Hey my fellow chicken peeps! I just did what I thought would be my last round of candling on my BCM eggs and they look a few days behind and I'm starting to get concerned. I'm used to Ameraucana eggs and Olive egger eggs. We set these on new years day so we should be heading into lock down but they seem to be a bit late. What do you guys think? I know BCMs are hard to candle and sorry for the grainy pictures but it's the best I could do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've had 100% hatch rate from this incubator a number of times but this round I'm questioning it. The air sacks look good but they aren't quite as black as I'd like them to be at day 17, they're about 60% dark. Do I go into lock down? Have I lost them all (I have 26)? Or do I just wait and see?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I think if you have a good routine for hatches, just go with it and hope for the best. Sometimes you have to trust your instincts and good track record when there isn't enough information. I learn something with every hatch, even if they are nail-biters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by