HELP!!Bee sting to chickens eye!

Samjamrow13

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2020
Austin Texas
I put my girls out in the tractor and was doing house chores when I heard them making noise. I found them swarmed in small honey bees. There were probably 5 bees on my roosters face and a couple on one of the hens. I rescued them and pulled out all the stingers (poor rooster had at least 15). It appears that they got their eyes stung. Their eyes were milky about 2hrs ago but it seems to be going down. I have them inside and they are keeping their eyes closed and are just laying down. I did what we do for humans (cold compress, really small amount of kids benedryl and rest)

I am afraid they could be blind? Is that a possibility? Is there anything else I should be doing for them?

You've done all that you can do. Great job pulling out the stingers and with the children's benadryl. Most likely you saved their lives with the benadryl.
All you can do now is observe them and make sure they have plenty of water to drink.
Please keep us up to date on their progress, particularly the eye situation.

I had 2 ducks living in a fenced 20x25’ yard with 2 bee hives at one end. One evening, when I went to check on the ducks, I saw that one was covered with bees and the other had also been stung. I washed the bees off and put the ducks in in a safe place. I didn’t even think to pull out stingers (Good thinking on your part) and didn’t think that human medicine would work on ducks. They were so traumatized, I left them alone. By the next morning they were both dead. I will never again put my birds in that yard and I will definitely stock up on children’s Benadryl. I hope someone can benefit by my mistake.

I put my girls out in the tractor and was doing house chores when I heard them making noise. I found them swarmed in small honey bees. There were probably 5 bees on my roosters face and a couple on one of the hens. I rescued them and pulled out all the stingers (poor rooster had at least 15). It appears that they got their eyes stung. Their eyes were milky about 2hrs ago but it seems to be going down. I have them inside and they are keeping their eyes closed and are just laying down. I did what we do for humans (cold compress, really small amount of kids benedryl and rest)

I am afraid they could be blind? Is that a possibility? Is there anything else I should be doing for them?
How are did things work out with their eyes? I have 2 hens in the same situation

Back
Top Bottom