Help: Believe it's Clostridium Perfringens

Renee Bailey

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2017
Antrim County, Michigan
Please help! New member here... I have 4 hens that are exhibiting definite signs of Clostridium Perfringens. I took one to the vet (not an Avian vet) but he did a fecal test and said it came back positive for two intestinal parasites and thought she might have another underlying infection in her intestinal tract so he prescribed Baytril for 10 days/twice a day. He also suggested I worm the rest of my chickens as they're not laying much right now. I gave them all a pea sized dollop of Panacur and will do that again 10 days later. However, after reading a post on BYC I believe my chickens definitely have Clostridium Perfringens. I contacted the vet that saw my chicken and sent him two links I saw online regarding this and where it said to use Metronidazole. The girl that works at the vet just called me back and said that I should give them all 80 mg. twice daily of this. My question is where can I get a liquid form of this? I don't want my chickens to die. They're my babies. Help!

Can you list some specific symptoms? How old are they? There are some very knowledgeable folks here, who can, perhaps, help if you can be specific - also, pictures are super helpful as well.
I'm so sorry you are experiencing illness with your birds! :(

Can you list some specific symptoms? How old are they? There are some very knowledgeable folks here, who can, perhaps, help if you can be specific - also, pictures are super helpful as well.
I'm so sorry you are experiencing illness with your birds! :(

My chickens range from 3 to less than a year old. The ones that have it are at least 2 years old. The only real symptom they're exhibiting is this explosive poop with seeds and undigested stuff still in it. I have 4 of them that have that. They're all eating/drinking and moving about but I noticed it first on my Vera, who had a full crop in the morning when I went out to the coop. She sleeps next to Margy who also didn't have an empty crop but there was still some stuff in it. I noticed she had a runny poop too. So I have both of them in the garage right now. I have two other hens that their crops don't empty all the way and they have the same messy watery poop.

I don't know what to do. I have fish mox and I can order other stuff but then I need to know dosages, etc. I'm just afraid that it's going to be too late by the time I figure out what to do for them.

FishMox dose is 57 mg per pound twice a day.

Your vet can sell you liquid metronidazole, or he could sell you pills.

Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 can also be used to treat Clostridium Perfringens.

Did he say what worms he saw? The pea-sized amount won't treat all worms.

I don't know anything about CP, Kathy is my go to on unknowns as well, lol...

What worms were found in the fecal float? Pea sized dollops aren't reliable doses, j/s, and depending on the worms they might need a more rigorous course of deworming done...

FishMox dose is 57 mg per pound twice a day.

Your vet can sell you liquid metronidazole, or he could sell you pills.

Tylan 50 and Tylan 200 can also be used to treat Clostridium Perfringens.

Did he say what worms he saw? The pea-sized amount won't treat all worms.
He said the names but it wasn't on my vet bill nor did the vet give me a report. I guess I will call on Monday to find out. I may call to see about liquid metronidazole. I was just going to give fish mox (amoxicillin) that I have here to the other 3 that I think have it. I have Tylan50 but no needles and I don't know if I could give them shots or if I could give it by dropper orally?? As far as the pea size for Panacur for worms, I saw that dosage amount on another chicken site on FB and so that's what I gave all my chickens as a precaution. I don't know if they have worms or not. And after a couple of calls today, I think I'm about done with vets period!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about CP, Kathy is my go to on unknowns as well, lol...

What worms were found in the fecal float? Pea sized dollops aren't reliable doses, j/s, and depending on the worms they might need a more rigorous course of deworming done...
What would you use to worm your chickens? I've got Wazine too but I thought that was mostly for roundworms.

What would you use to worm your chickens? I've got Wazine too but I thought that was mostly for roundworms.

You are correct, Wazine only works for large roundworms...

Panacur has same ingredient as one I use, Safeguard, which they both contain fenbendazole 10%... dosing for that is 0.23cc/mL per pound... depending on the type of worms, treatment is either dose 1 day then again on day 10, or dose for 5 consecutive days... all depends on what worms... dosing for 5 consecutive days gets the most different types of worms...

Otherwise I use Valbazen (albendazole 11.6%)...

Back
Top Bottom