Help! Bird is gasping for air for 2 days, she has Marek's and still can not die((((

Natalijaasbj

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Hi!
I had a Marek's in my flock. I lost 3 birds so far. This one exhibited the same symptoms( stretched her legs, paralyzed body). But the other birds were dying differently. This one seems to be gasping fo ait for two days ( probably is not able even to sleep). What sould I do to help her agony?
It is really hard for me to kill. should I give her some sedative?
Please,help!

Do you have a neighbor or friend you can ask to help you put her down? Would they have another method they could use, also?

So sorry you are facing such challenge. We love our birds & it is hard to handle some things.

Last edited:
just called them - 25 dollars((( I think I will better try sedative. Kathy, amy be you know what sedative and how much do I use.

I think you should end her misery with an ax. Cover her face and get it done. She will never know. I've had some gaspers, I think it's caused by paralysis of lungs.

As for sedatives, I've heard they don't work. I once gave a poorly roo 5 of my valiums from a root canal, and 5 Xanax, and all he did was the next morning he crowed.

Vodka may work. But most things frighten the birds, making them feel the dying. An ax is quick and humane.

Back
Top Bottom