HELP - Bird Lice

Rorporp23

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Eastern Washington
My birds have never had lice that bad before ( not that I've noticed) but recently I notice one of my birds getting sick. I took a closer look at her today and she has LICE. yuck! And the poor girly isn't looking too good :( I'm changing out my flock in a few months so I have a few questions.
How can I treat her (and the rest of my birds) for lice now? And how can I deep clean my coop to destroy all traces of the bugs? Are there any things I should do specifically? And how can I prevent lice in the future? Please help!

I am having a problem with lice for the first time too. I was told by a reliable source and I have read online that you can use Ivermectin. About 5-6 drops on the back of the chickens neck (depending on size of bird - less for smaller or younger birds). This will take care of lice/mites and internal parasites as well. I am waiting for the local feed store to get some back in stock. BUT I do not know how that would affect the peeps.

Lice & mites live in cracks & crevaces in wood. Go out to their coop at night with a flashlight and see if you can see anything crawling around the roost and/or the chickens legs and vent area. I am going to use Manna Pro Poultry Protector in the coop after a thorough cleaning. Some say you can use Sevin Dust in the coop and on the birds (but not their heads).

I am having a problem with lice for the first time too. I was told by a reliable source and I have read online that you can use Ivermectin. About 5-6 drops on the back of the chickens neck (depending on size of bird - less for smaller or younger birds). This will take care of lice/mites and internal parasites as well. I am waiting for the local feed store to get some back in stock. BUT I do not know how that would affect the peeps.

Lice & mites live in cracks & crevaces in wood. Go out to their coop at night with a flashlight and see if you can see anything crawling around the roost and/or the chickens legs and vent area. I am going to use Manna Pro Poultry Protector in the coop after a thorough cleaning. Some say you can use Sevin Dust in the coop and on the birds (but not their heads).
Welcome to BYC! Ivermectin will not kill feather lice, I tried!

Thanks for the welcome!

I don't like to use chemicals unless I absolutley have to! I bought Sevin Dust but I am hesitant to use it. Guess I don't have a choice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome!

I don't like to use chemicals unless I absolutley have to! I bought Sevin Dust but I am hesitant to use it. Guess I don't have a choice.
No one likes using chemicals. Down south here where our environment is humid, the soil is moist and warm most of the year (worm soup)...chemicals are a necessity to keep internal and external parasites at bay.

Back
Top Bottom