Help bleach irritation in pigs eye

buttercupbon

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2019
thailand
help! my potbelly pig rolled in a bit of diluted cleaning bleach and got some in her right eye and it caused a irritation and she’s unable to open her eyelid and i tried opening it and rising it out gently with water but it still looks pretty bad and it’s been a while and she hasn’t been able to open it- what can i do about it’s been about 5 hours and it looks puffed up and inflamed. i don’t know if i could send her to a vet because there are only dog and cat clinics in my area and i don’t know if they’d know how to deal with a pig..

oh dear! I don't know much about pigs, but I would generously rinse/flush the eye with fresh clean water. Bleach is irritating so it will take some time for any swelling to go down. You may want to watch to see if the eye gets a discharge or is crusty, then if possible, see a vet or continue to flush it out.

I would continue to to rinse it at least once an hour or so. Do you have saline solution I would use it instead of water. It won’t irritate the eye as much as water sometimes does. I am not sure how fast their eyes Hal but our eyes heal fairly quickly so it may be ok in a few days to a week.

I would continue to to rinse it at least once an hour or so. Do you have saline solution I would use it instead of water. It won’t irritate the eye as much as water sometimes does. I am not sure how fast their eyes Hal but our eyes heal fairly quickly so it may be ok in a few days to a week.
thanks, i’ll definitely try the saline solution!

Back
Top Bottom