Help bleeding bum and lice nests

I use coarse DE around my chickens’ dust bathing areas and under their coop bedding as a preventative and natural first barrier against lice and mites. It is good and it does work, however when you have an infestation it is not enough. So the others who have replied here are right and you need to bring in the big guns. A lot of people on here recommend permethrin which yes is the synthetic version of pyrethrum. It’s bad for cats and aquatic creatures and of course insects. But it will effectively treat your lice infestation. I’m on Australia and when I had a lice infestation in my flock I used rotenone/sulphur dust.

I’ve heard that coconut oil can help remove the lice balls but when I had a chook who had that bad an infestation I just used scissors to cut the feathers at the tip. It didn’t bother or effect her and her feathers have grown back normally after she moulted.

I use coarse DE around my chickens’ dust bathing areas and under their coop bedding as a preventative and natural first barrier against lice and mites. It is good and it does work, however when you have an infestation it is not enough. So the others who have replied here are right and you need to bring in the big guns. A lot of people on here recommend permethrin which yes is the synthetic version of pyrethrum. It’s bad for cats and aquatic creatures and of course insects. But it will effectively treat your lice infestation. I’m on Australia and when I had a lice infestation in my flock I used rotenone/sulphur dust.

I’ve heard that coconut oil can help remove the lice balls but when I had a chook who had that bad an infestation I just used scissors to cut the feathers at the tip. It didn’t bother or effect her and her feathers have grown back normally after she moulted.
What is the reason to use the synthetic vs the natural version ?
They read like there both as effective but synthetic one also has risk organic doesn’t

What is the reason to use the synthetic vs the natural version ?
They read like there both as effective but synthetic one also has risk organic doesn’t
From my understanding, the synthetic pyrethrum remains in the environment much longer than its natural counterpart. So for longer efficacy on the bird and in the coops, pyrethrum is better. Pyrethrin starts to breakdown in sunlight and air within a day.

Back
Top Bottom