HELP!! Bloated baby goat

Are you feeding milk or milk replacer. Scours are usually from inconsistent feeding. It's important to feed the same amount, the same temperature, the same mix if it's replacer, the same time. Any deviations can cause scouring. It's best to stop feeding and just give some water in place of the milk or replacer and see if they firm up, or cut the amount of milk in half. That's where I would start. Don't let them convince you to feed more. I always give them some water after a bottle. About a 1/4 of the milk amount to satisfy them.

I switched him about a week ago off of calf milk replacer to a different kind (see picture)

He is still bloating a little bit but I have got that under control. He has been having scours since yesterday. Today I gave him whole milk from the store instead of the milk replacer. He drank 2 6oz bottles of the whole milk and after each he drank 4&1/2 oz of electrolytes to make sure he doesn't dehydrate. I have also been giving him a little bit of pepto bismol to see if that would help slow his poop down.

I raised bottle babies many years. The best method I found for not having problems is to use cold, all they can eat milk replaced. First twenty four hours they get all the warm colstrum I can get them to take. After that they get replaced in lambar that is cold. This time of year I would actually freeze some replaced to keep rest of it chilled in heat. The first couple days I get kids up every couple hours and hook them up to lambar nipple. They will nurse a few swallows, walk away, and return for more in a few minutes. Once a day I rinse lambar and refill. Some buutermilk and yogurt added helps too. Once a week I break down lambar, wash, bleach, refill.

Water and kid feed (I use medicated calf starter grower with decox) always available. If you have another goat eating, even a chicken, to show baby how to eat.

I can send pictures if you want to try this method. Feeding bottle method gave me too many digestive upsets and poor growth. With cold all you can eat kids grow as fast as dam raised.

I raised bottle babies many years. The best method I found for not having problems is to use cold, all they can eat milk replaced. First twenty four hours they get all the warm colstrum I can get them to take. After that they get replaced in lambar that is cold. This time of year I would actually freeze some replaced to keep rest of it chilled in heat. The first couple days I get kids up every couple hours and hook them up to lambar nipple. They will nurse a few swallows, walk away, and return for more in a few minutes. Once a day I rinse lambar and refill. Some buutermilk and yogurt added helps too. Once a week I break down lambar, wash, bleach, refill.

Water and kid feed (I use medicated calf starter grower with decox) always available. If you have another goat eating, even a chicken, to show baby how to eat.

I can send pictures if you want to try this method. Feeding bottle method gave me too many digestive upsets and poor growth. With cold all you can eat kids grow as fast as dam raised.

What is a Lambar?

A lambar is a bucket with nipples and tubing so you can feed multiple kids at a time or even feed them free choice. Go onto caprinesupply.com and there should be some pictures. I think in the catalog it is called a caprine feeder or some such.

Back
Top Bottom