HELP!!! Blood in poop!

Quote:
That's textbook cocci. I would get to the feedstore and get a bottle of Corid (amprolium 9.6%). Put it in their water at a rate of 2 teaspoons to the gallon, immediately. The bottle won't be marked for chickens, but if it's liquid amprolium 9.6%, it's the right stuff.

Give it to them for 5 days straight, and you should see improvement quickly.

By the time mine were pooping blood they died, but they were all puffed up and just sat around really lazy. I gave them the medication striaght instead of in their water to get them started. That is what the vet reccomended. We also seperated the sick birds. We treated all the birds of that age with the mixture in the water that weren't showing signs of the sickness, but those that were, we gave them the straight medication.

We bought Cordid at our local feed store.

Thanks,
Teresa

Teresa,
did the chicks survive or not? And is that medication safe for the younger chicks that have been outside from day 1? They are two weeks old. Does your post mean that the one pooping only blood will die? Mine are all puffed up and kind of lazy, too.

Quote:
Once they get through an outbreak like this of cocci, they become highly resistant to that strain and will likely not ever have the problem again. If they move to a new location, there is a greater risk because they could encounter new strains of cocci that they are not resistant to.

Also, i have had quite a few chickens pooping blood and recover fully. The key is to medicate as soon as possible. I always keep Corid on hand at my house. And make sure you medicate all your chicks, whether they're looking sick or not. All the chicks of the same age have likely been exposed to the exact same microorganisms. Medicate them all.

Until your mom gets home from work, you can help ease their pain by feeding them yogurt if you have any on hand. Even some milk mixed with their feed - into a wet mash - will also help. The milk products help them produce more mucous in their intestines that helps alleviate the stress the microorganisms are placing on them.

Once they get through this, it is also not necessary to feed them medicated feed anymore. The medication will do them no good at all.

Thanks for the help guys. My dad is taking me to the store soon to get some of that. I'll let you know if they survive. If you care, I mean.

Quote:
Hi PunkinPeep! When you say the medicated feed will do them no good after this – do you mean it just won't be useful to them or do you mean it will actually be bad for them?

My chicks are also about 4 weeks old and have been outside for 2 weeks, I am not 100% sure they are pooping blood… i might just be going crazy coming up with different ways they might die. This is my first time owning chickens and I think I am driving myself mad worrying about them. Blood or no blood, no one's died on me yet and running around like mad chickens.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom