HELP!!! Bloody backs!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpringChickens, Mar 21, 2009.

1. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Hi,

I have 8 week old chickens (8 Australorp roos, 11 EE hens), and they were all doing great yesterday. I held a number of them for 5-10 minutes, no problems. Today, probably 6 or 7 of my EE hens have VERY bloody backs...

I'm smart enough to realize that it's probably from the roos mounting the hens, because it's only the girls who have the bloody backs. But I didn't think roos had ANY interest in mounting a hen at 8 weeks old? Should I separate them?

Even if I separate them, how do I get the hens from picking on each other? Any ideas?

Thanks!!

2. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    You could try little saddles to hide and protect their backs. At 8 weeks I would keep them separated from the roos if you can, they're still pretty young.

I use Bluekote on the wounded areas to keep the others from picking. It works pretty good and helps them heal up.

Good luck.

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    The roos are 8 weeks also... didn't think they would have raging hormones yet. Bluekote's a great idea. I think I have some, will try to spray some on right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by