Help! Bloody droppings in older hen!

Birdnerd04

Chirping
Sep 17, 2017
Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 12.39.38 PM.png

We have an adult Columbian Wyandotte chicken who has recently been acting very sick. We don't know how old she is but she is at least 3 years. We first noticed she was very quiet and hunched over about a week ago, and she has been getting worse.
We have separated her from her flock and last night when she went to the bathroom it was extremely bloody and runny. Blood and mucus coated feathers around the vent. I'm thinking it is coccidiosis but it seems extremely nasty and she has no appetite. Just looking for advice on what to do next. We definitely don't want her to be sick! Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 12.39.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 12.39.57 PM.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 4
I would get some Corid and start treatment in the water for possible coccidiosis. It might slso be a good idea to worm her with either Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer in case of capillary worms.Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml for a 5 pound hen, given once and again in 10 days. SGLGW dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given for 5 consecutive days. If you have a vet who can test her droppings, that would be good. But since she has been ill, I would go ahead with the Corid which you can get at TSC and most farm stores. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. The powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon of water.

It can be hard to tell what is going on when a chicken is so sick. Cancer can be common. Always check the crop in early morning to see if it is emptying overnight. Look over the skin under the vent and elswhere for tiny moving bugs—lice or mites.

View attachment 2011607

We have an adult Columbian Wyandotte chicken who has recently been acting very sick. We don't know how old she is but she is at least 3 years. We first noticed she was very quiet and hunched over about a week ago, and she has been getting worse.
We have separated her from her flock and last night when she went to the bathroom it was extremely bloody and runny. Blood and mucus coated feathers around the vent. I'm thinking it is coccidiosis but it seems extremely nasty and she has no appetite. Just looking for advice on what to do next. We definitely don't want her to be sick! Thanks.
When is the last time she laid an egg?
If you have vet care that would be best.

The bloody stool is concerning, are you seeing it consistently?
I would be inclined to think she may have a broken egg, but it very well could be Coccidiosis and Enteritis.

I am not a vet nor expert, but if she were mine, I would gently feel inside the vent for any crushed egg shell. I would also treat her with Corid and an antibiotic if vet care is not possible. Tylosin can be used. In a pinch I would use Amoxicillin (you can find Fish Mox at Tractor Supply). If you have any other antibiotics on hand let us know what you have.
Do what you can to keep her hydrated. Electrolytes for a day would be helpful too.

I'll tag in @Eggcessive and @casportpony as well to see what their thoughts are.

she has not been laying any eggs for at least a year
OK that would probably rule out a broken egg.

I agree with worming her too.
Is she able to eat/drink on her own?

If she is going down hill fast, it may be a last ditch effort throwing everything you got at her (worming, treating for Coccidiosis and using antibiotics). She very well may have cancer and that's where the blood is coming from - it can be hard to know with chickens. Unfortunately, a lot of times you don't know unless a necropsy is performed when they pass on.

Yes, she can eat/drink on her own but very small amounts. She has had lots of bloody stool. Is it safe to let her out with her flock? They aren't harassing her and the whole flock has been treated for coccidiosis.

Yes, she can eat/drink on her own but very small amounts. She has had lots of bloody stool. Is it safe to let her out with her flock? They aren't harassing her and the whole flock has been treated for coccidiosis.
That would be up to you whether she's fit to go back to the flock or not.
Since you don't know what's causing the bloody poop, it's hard to know whether there's something in it that would be "contagious" or not.

Back
Top Bottom