Help! Bought a duck @ fair & feathers aren't water proof?

donnavee

Crowing
13 Years
May 7, 2009
Hillsborough NC
We have a 4 1/2 mo old female Black Indies that needed a friend. After much searching, we finally found another female at the NC State Fair. I was told she is a little over a year old and she actually won first prize. So, I plopped down $25 and brought her home. I expected her to need some adjustment time, but we put her in the pen with a little kiddie pool which she jumped in. Right away, we noticed her feathers were getting wet, the water wasn't rolling off like with our other duck. We are new duck owners and don't know very much. I have now dried her off and put her in the duck house where it is dry.

Is this because she has been in a cage for a while at the fair and out of water or did we waste money on a duck that has something wrong. Even before she got wet, we noticed her feathers looked more ragged than our duck. Something I didn't notice when she was in the cage at the fair. I need advice, do we let her have access to swimming water?

yes just went through this on wednesday i bought some calls cheap 10 each. Off craigslist the guy was only 10 miles from me .the guy i bought from had them in dirty pen with no swimmimg water. i was worried. they were dirty and ruffed up. gave them a 2 gallon bowl to take bath with in a few hours there feathers were almost back down. they were sticking up. then 24 hours they actually changed color and are beatiful. and then 48 hours later the water was rolling off their back . yes their feathers were water logged and now water beads off. i did not dry off i let them take bath in 2 gallon bowl and changed 4 times a day . yes were caked with poop and mud. i just let them preen themselves naturally. they are beautifel pet quailty butterscotch calls. and are totally clean and beautiful in less than 48 hours. i feed them laying mash too. i think the guy was just feeding corn. hope this helps. just give fresh water and food. they know what to do naturally.

The duck may have had a bath before the fair to clean it up and make it look pretty, and it takes awhile for the natural oil they produce to cover their feathers again. I'd just keep it dry for a week or so and then check.

I've got the feeling they washed the duck with soap so she looks half way good. That also means they probably don't take care to much for their animals, and they may live in filthy condition. No sure how such a bird can win 1st prize, perhaps no competition in that class or breed. Plus 25 dollars is rather cheap for a bird that has won a prize. I would give her plenty of water to clean with, and make sure she gets the best food possible until she looks better.

Quote:
That's not always the case. Most breeders who DO care about their animals DO bathe them before taking them to a show. Washing a bird before a show is a normal thing. It may take her a day or so to work the oil back into her feathers and she'll be fine.

ETA: Also, some breeders will give a discount to folks who are just starting out with a particular species, such as ducks in this case. I don't think it is anything to get your drawers in a twist over personally.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. She is warm and dry in her house now with food & water. Our other little duck keeps going in to check on her. There were quite a few Black East Indies at the fair and I know all the animals have to be cleared of having any disease before they can be shown. I held her in my arms for quite a while sitting in the sunshine and she seemed to like it. We will keep working with her. It's hard to find any food for domestic ducks around here so I've been feeding the chicken grower. I did find some kind of conditioning pellets for chickens and ducks at TSC that I mix with the food, I'll get some more of it. I suppose being in a cage with a bunch of strange ducks around and then being whisked to a completely strange environment is pretty traumatic. Sure would be for me.

Quote:
That's not always the case. Most breeders who DO care about their animals DO bathe them before taking them to a show. Washing a bird before a show is a normal thing. It may take her a day or so to work the oil back into her feathers and she'll be fine.

ETA: Also, some breeders will give a discount to folks who are just starting out with a particular species, such as ducks in this case. I don't think it is anything to get your drawers in a twist over personally.

I know they bathe chickens but I have never used soap on my ducks before a show. Sure i let them "bathe" but not actually in any soap.
In big shows do they do this?

Quote:

I know they bathe chickens but I have never used soap on my ducks before a show. Sure i let them "bathe" but not actually in any soap.

Ducks should never be bathed with soap. It will strip all the oils off.

Quote:

Ducks should never be bathed with soap. It will strip all the oils off.

Yup, a day before show i put mine in an elevated wire cage with water troughs that i refill every few hours to make sure that they are preening right so they will be shiny/clean when there in the pen and during showmanship.

Back
Top Bottom