Help! Boys or girls? Different breeds

agree with junebuggena.    The Australorp   is looking like a pullet but not positive.  How old are they?

I'm not positive how old the Aussie is but she is at least 5 weeks old and up to 7 weeks old. Yeah it's hard as well because he comb is big but not SUPER pink. Definitely more pink than my only for sure girl.

The EE's are definitely cockerels, from their pink combs and the red splotches on their wings.
Australorp I think is a cockerel as well.

Would the smaller EE being crossed with a Phoenix make any difference for that, especially with the coloring and all? I agree though that it seems like a male, just reeeeally hoping for a female

Maybe that would be the case if all of his feathers were uniformly red, but your EE has patches. Furthermore, his comb his very pink!

Okay, I see what you're saying. Man, now I am maybe questioning if another chick I have is a male. Everything about the chick is female: demeanor, appearance, etc. but her comb is pretty pink. Really small and not at all raised, just pink.

Here she is with the Aussie. She's a golden laced Wyandotte.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure your gold laced Wyandotte is a rooster. Mine are 5 months old and the pullets only recently got color in their combs.

Wyandottes can be pretty tricky, but I'm actually going with pullet.
smile.png
That plumage looks typical of a female to me. I had a bantam Dotte whose comb turned pink before she was fully feathered, and today she's one of my favorite little girls.

~Alex

Thank you so much, everybody, for your input! It's been so helpful. I'll keep watching them over the next few weeks to see what becomes of everyone and I'll definitely post more photos. I have a blog where I wrote a bit more and also had some more photos in case you were curious or wanted some other photos for sexing evidence: Urbanchook.wordpress.com

Anyway, I'll update this page in another week or so with more photos!

Thank you so much, everybody, for your input! It's been so helpful. I'll keep watching them over the next few weeks to see what becomes of everyone and I'll definitely post more photos. I have a blog where I wrote a bit more and also had some more photos in case you were curious or wanted some other photos for sexing evidence: Urbanchook.wordpress.com

Anyway, I'll update this page in another week or so with more photos!

I noticed that on your blog you were pointing out hackle feathers and sickle tail feathers; I'm sure that those feathers do not appear at that age, as they are adult feathers and these lil guys are still chicks who are growing out their first juvenile feathers! And I've never heard of "ridge" feathers as being a sign of gender. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this!
lol.png
)

Last edited:
I noticed that on your blog you were pointing out hackle feathers and sickle tail feathers; I'm sure that those feathers do not appear at that age, as they are adult feathers and these lil guys are still chicks who are growing out their first juvenile feathers!  And I've never heard of "ridge" feathers as being a sign of gender.  (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this! :lol: )

Oh ok! Sorry I'm new so I don't know much besides what I get online. I guess I'm referring to the start of those feathers growing. They have feathers already in those spots so I don't know what to call them. As for the "ridge", I don't know the proper term, but I read in some forums that the back of the chickens feathering will develop different in males and females. Males will develop poorly at first and it will be a thin line (why I guess I called it a ridge). While females back feathers will be wider and more developed at the same age. Thats just what I read in a few places

Back
Top Bottom