Help! Breed and gender question...

wdb0201

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
Hi, all! I am a new member. My husband and I got our first backyard chickens in June and LOVE it so far. We got 2 hens and 2 pullets. I have 2 questions. First, does anyone recognize what breed(s) these chickens are? Also, we are afraid that our 2 pullets might be roosters based on their saddle feathers, but just aren't sure. Can anyone help identify their sexes for us? The top 2 pictures are of Bubby and the bottom 2 are of Little LAM. Thanks, everyone!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

We aren't sure since we don't know exactly how old they were when we got them. We think between 5-9 months. I know that's a big gap of time, but we really don't know.

Last edited:
Thanks! We have used this site over and over to help us with everything from how to set up our coop to how to ward off hawks. It is a HUGE help to us newbies!

Hmm. My rooster was crowing by 5 months I'm sure. No strangled sounds coming from the coop? Lol

Oh and ps are those higher tail feathers new as well?

Last edited:
Hmm. My rooster was crowing by 5 months I'm sure. No strangled sounds coming from the coop? Lol

Oh and ps are those higher tail feathers new as well?

My husband said that for the last 2 days he has heard a couple of "crowing" sounds that are different than what we've heard before. The noises are lower in pitch and intensity. It has happened just a few times around 7am (right about the time we usually open the coop for them to free range). We haven't heard them at any other time of day. Bubby's tail feathers are new. LAMs are about the same. We have noticed that LAM seems to stand up taller than the other chickens. Is that something indicative of roos? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom