Help! Breed/Gender questions

wdb0201

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
Hi!

My husband and I are new to raising chickens and have breed/gender questions. We have no idea what breed they are. Also, we are suspicious that two of our pullets are possibly roosters. The top 5 pics are of Bubby; the bottom 5 are of Little LAM. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Thanks to you both. It's not looking good. :-( Now we have to figure out what to do with our boys.

Not thinking Black Maran only because of the color of our eggs. They are a much lighter tan than the "chocolate brown" eggs of marans. Here are our hens (Bugsy in the first pic and The General in the second pic). The best guess that I have just through looking at pictures is the Austrolorp. They definitely have iridescent feathers and the same colored eggs. Not even sure if they are common around here, but it's a guess!

Last edited:
Your males have feathered legs, your females don't. The females aren't pure Australorps, those are solid black and your hens have leakage at the throat. they also look to have mixed type combs, leading me to think the hens are a mixed breed.

The top birds are roosters and look like black copper marans EXCEPT for the fact that their legs are not the right color(s) that marans have. So I think when you add that to your eggs, you have marans crosses.

Back
Top Bottom