HELP BREED IDENTIFICATION!!

Haha yes I only had plaas henders up until the of last year when i started to bring real breeds and they lay whole year round.they do't even really go through a molting period
big_smile.png

I had so many chickens I lost count after 200 LOL Only one hen went through molt. Don't know what it is, maybe we're just lucky?

They do have nice temperaments. Mine was really sweet and very talkative. And they are great mothers! People say battery hens don't go broody, but a few of mine did and they were great with their chicks.

It'll be worth trying to hatch some of her eggs if you can cross her to a good rooster. I crossed mine to my RIR X roo and his son who's mom was an Australorp X. The resulting chicks were either white like mom or completely black with the odd red one in-between. And the girls were very good layers!

Last year I bred six of her eggs with a production red rooster I got a type of sex link with 5 red hens and one white cockerel but three got caught by an mongoose one by an falcon and the other two died of
sickness:(

Last year I bred six of her eggs with a production red rooster I got a type of sex link with 5 red hens and one white cockerel but three got caught by an mongoose one by an falcon and the other two died of
sickness:(

That's terrible
hugs.gif
Mongoose are a pain. We lost so many chicks to them we ended up trapping and killing them. Hawks weren't a problem until just before we moved when I lost one chick to one. Luckily my roosters were very alert and warned everyone in time after that incident.
My Lohman X's were great and the girls laid better than their moms! I also had no problem selling the roosters as everyone knew the Lohmans were layers and wanted to breed of them
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom